Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

If money were no object.....

Dreadz

The mildly annoying ad for the euromillions just started my imagination rolling and innevitably I quickly ended up on what scopes would I buy if I won (if only).

So, if you woke up this Saturday more than £100million richer what would you be purchasing for yr dream obsy?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing too extravagant to be honest. A nice wee house somewhere in the south of Spain or on Tenerife. A Planewave 20" on a Paramount would do the deep sky stuff and a 152 Lunt for the solar stuff. Though you could always go bananas and buy one of these:

3470-7-large.JPG

(the solarscope, not the bloke!)

I think I would go for a dark sky site in the Southern Hemisphere or at least closer to the Tropics - that way you'd get a nice climate and a bunch of new objects to look at. Scope wise- probably want to run multiple rigs from wide angle to planetary.  

I might not move permanently from the UK but I'd be having other houses for sure, stocked with lots of wine and scopes. I'd be after perhaps a custom made f3.5 25" truss dob, with feathertouch/sips focuser and a tracking/goto system in an Obs. Plus a large Ha scop and white light option.

We'd have at least one house in the French Alps, one in Australia somewhere and one or two in a couple of places like Crete &Hawaii. They'd all have a permanent obs with maybe a C14 automated to search for supernovas and/or comets. I'd likely have a scope or two of similar calibre for observing and planetary imaging and each obs will be equipped with a monster solar set up too.

I'd also like a monkey.

Nothing too extravagant to be honest. A nice wee house somewhere in the south of Spain or on Tenerife. A Planewave 20" on a Paramount would do the deep sky stuff and a 152 Lunt for the solar stuff. Though you could always go bananas and buy one of these:

3470-7-large.JPG

(the solarscope, not the bloke!)

Is he one of the borrowers?

Big scope, big door....and look at the size of the office chance he's perched on!!

D.C

Is he one of the borrowers?

Big scope, big door....and look at the size of the office chance he's perched on!!

D.C

LOL.

I think that it's an optical illusion. That's an industrial roller shutter door, so it could 3 or 4 metres across. And thats a 230mm refractor, which is a BIG solarscope:

Lunt-LS230-1.jpg

I was reading in the S@N mag that there are a lot of old professional observatories closing, La Silla Observatory in Chile has five domes empty at the moment. Maybe one of those could be acquired   :grin: But in reality I guess an observatory built at a dark site in Wales with comfortable accommodation would do me. As for scopes I quite fancy an 8 or 10" binocular telescope for visual and a good scope video camera combo for live deep sky viewing  :smiley:

House in dark, remote location with 1/2 - 1 acre of land, 4x4 and a bit to live off.

This is a dream that may not ever become a reality in my lifetime, with the wages these days...well done to all those who have achieved that dream.

I'd give the remaining £98 million to my favourite charity.

I think I would show restraint (!) and get a Corondao PST, a Lunt 60mm CaK scope, an EQ6 alt az, a Tec 140, a Solarscope SF100 etalon, a 76mm Tele Vue and an Edge HD 9.25. That would do very nicely :)

£100 million,

i would buy a larger family house, also a nice static caravan in a dark area in north Wales and get a good size dob to keep at said caravan plus i would get a nice Apo but dont know which one, some thing around 130 to 150mm

£100 million,

i would buy a larger family house, also a nice static caravan in a dark area in north Wales and get a good size dob to keep at said caravan plus i would get a nice Apo but dont know which one, some thing around 130 to 150mm

I am stunned at how expensive statics are these days.

Archived