SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moon Experiment 13/03

davefrance

Tried 3 ways to get tonights moon pic. Do you think there is ay improvement in 2 or 3? Which do you think is best? Comments welcomed.

1) Single shot

post-34685-0-63239300-1394750906_thumb.j

2) 22 shots stacked in registax

post-34685-0-71672700-1394750907_thumb.j

3) 1500+ frames video stacked in registax

post-34685-0-48860400-1394750908_thumb.j

At that size of image I think it's hard to tell, but in my experience stacking and sharpening multiple DSLR frames makes a huge difference.

James

Thanks James, I'm sure your right, I think there is a marginal improvement in 2 compared to 1 but I think 3 needs work to sharpen it up and not quite sure how best to achieve that at the moment and whether in the end it would be better.

Nice shots, always good to try a few things out. My preference, favourite first, is: 2, 3, 1.

Though I like 3 as well, it's hard to describe what I like about it, I think it looks a bit more like a NASA photo from ye olde days rather than like viewing through the eyepiece.

Nice shots, always good to try a few things out. My preference, favourite first, is: 2, 3, 1.

Though I like 3 as well, it's hard to describe what I like about it, I think it looks a bit more like a NASA photo from ye olde days rather than like viewing through the eyepiece.

My choice exactly. Thanks for your comments

I like shot 1. I've always had trouble stacking the moon and never had a particularly good results yet (probably because I lack a decent barlow for close up mosaics though as I'm still stuck with the Skywatcher original that came with my 'scope).

My best images have always been single shot images (with a bit of post processing in a raw editor) where I've used the biggest screen I can to get focus as sharp as possible and then just taken a batch of five to ten shots (about 1 or so a second) at different speeds at ISO 100 and 200 until I find an image that has beat the seeing and is really sharp.

I like shot 1. I've always had trouble stacking the moon and never had a particularly good results yet (probably because I lack a decent barlow for close up mosaics though as I'm still stuck with the Skywatcher original that came with my 'scope).

My best images have always been single shot images (with a bit of post processing in a raw editor) where I've used the biggest screen I can to get focus as sharp as possible and then just taken a batch of five to ten shots (about 1 or so a second) at different speeds at ISO 100 and 200 until I find an image that has beat the seeing and is really sharp.

Thanks. I think Shot 1 looks a little warmer in tone and a little softer.

I preferred 1 overall, but, by just the very smallest margin, the detail just seemed a very tiny bit more like an EP view. 3 was last as it looked a little too bumpy on the edges? (I am really new to this all so take it with a pinch of salt).

I promise I did "back and forth" the images a whole lot, didn't skim and judge :)

All way better than anything I could ever come up with I assure you!

I preferred 1 overall, but, by just the very smallest margin, the detail just seemed a very tiny bit more like an EP view. 3 was last as it looked a little too bumpy on the edges? (I am really new to this all so take it with a pinch of salt).

I promise I did "back and forth" the images a whole lot, didn't skim and judge :)

All way better than anything I could ever come up with I assure you!

Thank you for spending the time.

Tried 3 ways to get tonights moon pic. Do you think there is ay improvement in 2 or 3? Which do you think is best? Comments welcomed.

1) Single shot

attachicon.gifDSC_1493.jpg

2) 22 shots stacked in registax

attachicon.gifMoon 130314 22S.jpg

3) 1500+ frames video stacked in registax

attachicon.gifMoon 13032014 A.jpg

Same for last night 14/3

1) Single shot

post-34685-0-62721500-1394881892_thumb.j

2) 22 stacked

post-34685-0-61408400-1394881893_thumb.j

3) Video 500 out of 2000 stacked.