celestron 130eq md eyepiece recommendations

Makivelli

Hello all,

I have just ordered a celestron 130eq md, I am new to astronomey,, I know it comes with a 10mm and a 20mm eyepiece I was wondering what recommendations you guys would have for a couple of mid priced eye pieces to make my viewing experience better.

For nice 60 degree eyepieces that won't break the bank, try " starguider" eyepieces . They can be had for £49 each new.

The celestron x cel lx eyepieces are also 60* , they are a little more expensive at around £65 each.

These are also good if you require long eye relief ( I.e you wear glasses and can't get your eye close to the lens.)

Those are two popular options for initial upgrades . Of course there are many many more available depending on budget, eye relief , field of view , scope speed ect.

+1 for the BST StarGuiders ( available from Skies the Limit/Skies Unlimited on fleabay ). I bought some for use with my SkyLiner 250px, but when I used them in my AstroMaster 130 they left all those cheap plossls I had invested in lying in the dust :grin: . The twist up eye-cups and long eye-relief are a blessing and make viewing very comfortable compared to plossl eyeieces with the short eye-relief.

With the AstroMaster the 8mm ( or possibly the 5mm ) will give good planetary views and the 12mm ( or 15mm ) will give good views of objects such as the Orion Nebula.

Hope this helps,

Alan

Welcome to SGL Markivelli!

I'd recommend you to read this thread first:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/196278-what-can-i-expect-to-see/

I'd also recommned that you spend some nights with your stock EPs before buying anything. The stock EPs are not the top of line EP, has limitations, and in beginners untrained eyes, they perceived to be much worse than they actually are.

Archived