Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Collimation Workshop

Grant

Hi all,

We are planning to run a few informal, Q&A, Interactive workshops at SGL9 on the Saturday - details to follow shortly.

We'd like to run one on collimation, but haven't found anyone who would like to lead discussions and run through some examples - would anybody like to volunteer? Multiple people would be ideal as we could potentially encourage people who are struggling with collimation to bring along their scopes and let you collimation gurus show us how it's done :)

Any volunteers?

Cheers,

Grant

Great idea Grant, unfortunately I'm in the wrong country otherwise I would have loved to attend.

i think that fear is a major factor for people starting out with collimation and having a hands on workshop will be of great benefit.

Hope it all goes well,

Rich

I don't mind demontrating how to collimate newts, if it helps. (either by  eye, collicap, cheshire, laser if needed) . Quick tutorial then hands on normally works best.

Tom & Lee - are you up for putting something together between you? Perhaps a demo of each of those methods and then maybe a bit of a hands on with anybody who wants to learn?

It doesn't need to be any sort of formal presentation - perhaps just a case of you guys showing us how you do it, and then perhaps people could bring their scopes along for a hands on try?

Excellent :)

Perhaps we could wing this a little - lets make it a collimation drop in clinic - if you three are willing to be around the location where we will host the workshops at that time, then we can see who comes along and what they need and then either run some examples, or split into one-to-one type mini sessions as needed?

Great idea, I've got the idea on how to collimate newts although any other tips would gratefully received, although I did adjust the collimation on my SCT using a laser thinking it was out & made it a 100 times worse, I did manage to use it at the darksite last night & used a star to make it better although not quite sure if it's spot on so some tips on how to collimate one would definitely be appreciated.

Excellent :)

Perhaps we could wing this a little - lets make it a collimation drop in clinic - if you three are willing to be around the location where we will host the workshops at that time, then we can see who comes along and what they need and then either run some examples, or split into one-to-one type mini sessions as needed?

Sounds good I will gladly help , the format worked well at psp last year (quick talk and then break into groups,  if you need any help on the talk Moonshane just ask), if anyone wants to learn on their own scopes bring them along , (also if their scopes are too large we could do visits through to day.)

Also refractor owners if they need any assistance to check and adjust  scopes that could be added.

• 2 weeks later...

How interesting...!

I created and hosted a well attended collimation session at SGL 5 - the last time I was at lucksall. In fact, I've sent this out to quite a few people in the last week.

I'm happy to send my presentation to whoever wants it... And when I last did it, did a quick practical on my dob as well (you get used to collimation with a truss tube !)

Let me know ?

Rgds

I'd like to borrow that if I could Helen, would be nice to spend time and get help on colimating the sct in the daytime instead of wasting valuable observing time at night.

Me too please.

I was thinking of getting one but I don't think I can achieve the necessary distance in my garden. It would be interesting to see what the minimum distance actually is.

Kerry

I'd love to see how to collimate an SCT if someone is kind enough to show how. Tich, that makes me feel better that I left it well alone! :grin: :grin: Hope someone can help!

I know Luke that'll teach me eh lol. I collimated on a star the last time I used it & I'm fairly confident it it's damn close but a second set of eye's wouldn't go amiss.   :grin:

Would be interested in knowing how to collimate my 127SLT MAK which got dropped a few months ago due to not tightening it up correctly on its mount. It seems out! :-) the newt and dob i'm also bringing I think I know how to do correctly but do also have a question about certain shapes generated by the cheshire collimator.

Would be interested in knowing how to collimate my 127SLT MAK which got dropped a few months ago due to not tightening it up correctly on its mount. It seems out! :-) the newt and dob i'm also bringing I think I know how to do correctly but do also have a question about certain shapes generated by the cheshire collimator.

The general advice with MAK's is to leave them alone unless you have to but I have had a go at my son's and seen some improvement. I am happy to have a look and a chat if you like.

The general advice with MAK's is to leave them alone unless you have to but I have had a go at my son's and seen some improvement. I am happy to have a look and a chat if you like.

Thanks Rik, that would be great!

Weather dependant, if you see me setting up and I'm not looking flustered due to impending rainstorm, I'd be happy to let people mess about with my scope - call it "free practise" if you like.

If however, I see clouds brewing up... It will be lightning fast then into the tent for Mr Scope.

Archived