SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Natural Density or Polorizing Moon Filters

Afternoon,

I currently have a skywatcher sky & moon glow filter I've been using to reduce the brightness when viewing the moon, but, and it's happened 3 times now, i'm getting headaches the next day which im putting down to eye strain... so im thinking about a alternate option..

I like the look of the Baader natural density as you can select various "stengths" when ordering, but wondered if anybody had experience with either..

(Thinking about it I could wear my raybans but prefer not to wear glasses for observing.. :cool2: )

Thanking in advance!

Fozzie

I have the variable polarizing moon filter.  I opted for that so I could adjust the brightness for the different phases of the moon.

The down side is you have to keep taking your ep in and out and fiddle with the settings but I don't mind doing that if it makes the moon comfortable to view.

Hoping to start on the lunar 100 soon.

Thanks Daz,

might be a good option to have variable settings depending on the phase and also what personally you find comfortable I guess.. toying with the idea of a smaller aperture achro frac too.. just to calm it all down a bit..

On the main dust cap, you should be able to remove a smaller cap, this will make the aperture smaller.

This is true, and I hadn't thought of it... although it wont sit well with my reasons to buy a second scope.. might just forget you mentioned it!

Increase your magnification - that'll dim the image too.

I was using the 11mm and 4.7mm ES82 giving me upwards of 200x... I know the moon takes higher Mags... but it still caused the "moongaine" at that..

although spectacular though at those mags... determined to really start the luna 100 soon

This is true, and I hadn't thought of it... although it wont sit well with my reasons to buy a second scope.. might just forget you mentioned it!

It's always nice to have more than one scope. Even if it's so they don't get lonely on cloudy nights.

I use both the fixed neutral density filters and the variable polarising filter, they are both good, however, I find using the fixed density filters best as its less faff.  Alternatively, you can split the variable filter into two and put one in front of your diagonal and one on the eyepiece, this way you can alter the density to suit by turning the eyepiece while you are viewing.  This makes life a lot easier.  The Sky Watcher ones are the best of the low priced ones, but I prefer to use the Lumicon ones (from Agena Astro in US) as they are much better engineered.

you can split the variable filter into two and put one in front of your diagonal and one on the eyepiece, this way you can alter the density to suit by turning the eyepiece while you are viewing.  This makes life a lot easier.

Thanks Robin, that sounds like a great idea.. Might have just swayed the decision away from the baader ND.

I use a Meade variable polarizing system and it is genius - you can adjust the polarization without taking the eyepiece out, you just slide the adjuster on the side so you can also vary the view during viewing to change the level of detail visible.  I don't believe FLO do one but Rother Valley do as link below.

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/meade-905-variable-polarizing-filter-125.html

I use a Meade variable polarizing system and it is genius - you can adjust the polarization without taking the eyepiece out, you just slide the adjuster on the side so you can also vary the view during viewing to change the level of detail visible.  I don't believe FLO do one but Rother Valley do as link below.

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/meade-905-variable-polarizing-filter-125.html

I notice that one is not for use with Newtonian telescopes, according to the blurb.

• 2 weeks later...

I notice that one is not for use with Newtonian telescopes, according to the blurb.

Why would it not be used for Newts? I'm just starting out with a Celestron PS127EQ (Bird-Jones Newt design), and don't understand ANYthing yet! :sad:

Hi, not sure as I have not tried this particular make.  However, some get stuck when they hit the ridge inside some focusers, also remembering that variable polarising filters are double stacked - there may not be enough inward focus travel to faciltate its use.  Would be risky with a bird-jones type scope I should think, but i have not tried it.

Not heard that before - strange.  I don't have to change focus much when I use it from before when I just have an EP in, so inward focus shouldn't be much problem wouldn't have thought.  I don't know what you mean by being stuck on a ridge in the focuser - there is nothing internal sticking out, the nosepiece going into the focuser (or in my case diagonal) is just a 1.25" nosepiece same as an EP.  Very strange indeed - PERHAPS thinking about it as it is double stacked and the EP is therefore a long way out of the focuser, and on a reflector that would mean the angle of pressure would be straight down which could cause problems if a heavy EP was hung on it - just grasping at straws there though...

I still think it will be a problem, the Meade version, like the BST, is tall and does not only contain the polarising filters, whereas the bare doubled-stacked filters would be OK in my view.  I too find I don't have to change focus much when using the filters.

I still think it will be a problem, the Meade version, like the BST, is tall and does not only contain the polarising filters, whereas the bare doubled-stacked filters would be OK in my view.  I too find I don't have to change focus much when using the filters.

On my Vixen Refractor, I cannot reach  

focus with the Mead.Not enough

travel on the focuser its self.

Steve

Archived