Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51 and the tidal interaction

swag72

I've not posted this for a few days as I've not been happy with it. I've taken on board some comments from others and have made a few changes in the last couple of days. It's still not as I would like, but I do know that the collimation is out and I need to sort this on my next clear night.

All comments good, bad and indifferent are welcomed and I even take notice of them!! Sorry about the gradients showing in the image here, but they are not in the original.

Details:

Avalon Linear Fast Reverse

Celestron C9.25 0.63x

Atik 460EXM with Baader RGB and Hutech P2 for luminance

50x600s L

50x180s each R,G and B

post-5681-0-82819500-1394713945_thumb.jp

There's a larger resolution here available if you wish http://swagastro.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/3/7/23377322/m51_final.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic rendition of a stunning target in our night sky, just testing the water on this myself as it's in the part of the sky that gives my guiding grief but hope to have that sorted.

Collimation wise Sara are you refering to the way your stars look because it's very hard to see so i don't think it's out but far.

Sara out of interest in say one month how many days on average can you get out to image ? jealous & curious at the same time that's all, glad you get that time though or we wouldn't get to see some of these targets so deep, go girl go :grin:

Thanks all :smiley:

My exposures in luminance were 600s and for RGB 180s - I was using 2xbin though.

If you'd seen the original stack Ewan, I think you'd agree that the collimation was out!! Processing hides a multitude of sins! Anyway that was sorted last night, I hope! Regarding my imaging time, its really weather dependant. For example in January I didn't get out at all as the weather was utter pants. February didn't fair much better. I can be lucky and have a considerable run - I really don't know how many nights I get in a month as I don't tend to keep a record.

Archived