Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

"naked eye" observation of the sun

ScottM

Let me start by saying that I am not talking about viewing the sun without protection. By naked eye, I just mean no binoculars or telescope.

What I want to know is what you all would suggest using to do the observation. I've read in a few places that #14 welder's glass is good for solar viewing, and I've read about solar glasses as well. What would be better for observing the sun? And if the answer is the glasses, will they work with my regular glasses, or will they be a hassle?

Apparently, the only true thing thats safe for solar viewing is the right solar film.

Everything else allows some wavelengths through that shouldn't be, and will eventually have some effect on your vision.  

The thing to bear in mind is that effects are not immediately obvious, and can build over time.  Also, degenerative conditions can be kick-started by damage such as this, even if there appears to be no immediate ill-effects.  When it's just £20 for an A4 sheet of solar film, I wouldn't hesitate.  

The FLO solar viewing specs are fine too, just remember never to view through an unprotected telescope with them on, as they would be instantly melted.  Only ever view through a telescope with the OBJECTIVE lens of a refractor, or the aperture end of a newtonian covered.

I've never used anything other than dedicated solar filters, you have to be ever so careful with the Sun, it's quite possible to damage your eyes without realising it. The film is said to give a better view anyway...

I hold up my refractor's large ND5 solar film filter (the alternative ND3.8 solar film is only for photography and should not be used for visual) for a quick look with the MKI eyeballs (the filter covers both eyes, and I do find using both eyes makes it easier to see big spots), but I will order some glasses when I next place an order with FLO.

As it turns out, FLO doesn't ship to the U.S., but they did refer me to some Solar glasses on Amazon. I got them in on Monday, and I've taken a few views of the Sun since then. I haven't spotted any sunspots yet, but they're still pretty fun to use.

Archived