Any suggestions

peter69

Hi to all,

Having moved house in the summer,when the dark nights came down ,my new location is almost in blackout conditions, which prompted me to purchase my first ever telescope, an orion xt

10, i must admit its brutally heavy,with the standard 25 mm lens its come with,the viewing has been awesome,the moon , jupiter and this morning at around 4 am saturn, i would love to see a bit more detail on the latter two , i have a budget of roughly £200 any suggestions

Thanks and happy gazing

Do you mean £200 on one eyepiece ?

There's things to consider. , for example , do you wear glasses to observe ? Do you want a wide field eyepiece , or are you happy to stick to 40 or. 50 degree eyepieces.

You can blow £200 on an eyepiece. , but you can also get a set of two three or four nice eyepieces

Or as above , a quality Barlow will effectively double your collection , but you need to pick focal lengths carefully so not to duplicate powers.

There's a lot of choice out there, and you could have. 100 different answers to that question . But the more info you can give , the better . It helps sort what might suit your needs.

I can't say from personal experience, BUT I've seen a few threads on the forums that actually advise against baader Hyperion eyepieces in scopes that are faster than a certain f - number .

I don't know your scopes f number , so I'd look into that.

I will take all suggestions into consideration , im off to work again at the weekend , be away a month , be reading up this forum , get some ideas for when i get home again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will take all suggestions into consideration , im off to work again at the weekend , be away a month , be reading up this forum , get some ideas for when i get home again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good approach . There's no real rush.

Tonite my 10" dob gave some excellent views of Jupiter,with my 2 KK Fuji orthos, 5mm & 7mm performing great.The most versatile for my seeing conditions is an 8mm,with the 7mm coming in close second(150x & 171x).They work well @ F4.8 to my eyes.The GRS,preceding white spot,festoons,rilles,riffles in bands etc were nicely visible in these EP's.

I have used a few Baader eyepiece that were samples on my 190mm 5.26 M/N scope and I was not pleased with what I saw though I am used to Televue eyepieces.

At the speed of your scope F4.7, the problems will be worse. I would go for something from Explore Sc, Vixen or Maxvision which are basically Meade eyepiecs, they will out perform Baader Hyperions. Meade eyepieces will also be very good but they are more difficult to get now, you do see the odd one secondhand.

Alan

Archived