Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_peoples_choice_2018_winners.thumb.jpg.d8ce9c6569dfc2f48814f6d87da46170.jpg

Looeewoo

Southern Stars SkyFi, Y/N?

I've been looking at Mac and iPad control solutions for my new HEQ5 Pro mount, and the combination of SkySafari and SS SkyFi controller sounds like a good package.

Looking at their downloads page, they haven't posted any firmware updates since 2012, which makes me a bit wary.

Anyone have any experience of the product?

I use an iPad2/SkySafari 4 Pro/SkiFi combination with my NEQ6 and find it a great combination.

Once I have aligned the mount and run the GoTo setup the handset stays in it holder and I do everything else from the iPad.

I find that the iPad occasionaly loses connection with the SkiFi wirless network and so I have the iPad in a cheap leather cover with a rubylith sheet this lets me reconnect without having my nightvision affected.

I use an iPad2/SkySafari 4 Pro/SkiFi combination with my NEQ6 and find it a great combination.

Once I have aligned the mount and run the GoTo setup the handset stays in it holder and I do everything else from the iPad.

I find that the iPad occasionaly loses connection with the SkiFi wirless network and so I have the iPad in a cheap leather cover with a rubylith sheet this lets me reconnect without having my nightvision affected.

http://www.ipadgrabbit.com

I use this to hold mine, I feel less worried about dropping it whilst outside. It wouldn't hold rubylith in place though.

One thing I have found is that I need to remember to change the appearance to monochrome as the menu bar disappears when using the colour appearance setting with rubylith.

I bought some ruby leith, but found it too thin and brittle to be much use. The Grabbit might be worth a punt though at £24.

I bought some ruby leith, but found it too thin and brittle to be much use. The Grabbit might be worth a punt though at £24.

I just grasp the strap, you could wave it around if you wanted, it's very secure.

Thanks, I've ordered now, balked at the carriage :o and wait with great anticipation...

I'm sure you won't be disappointed - I've been using this combination for a while, and, IMHO, it's great :smiley: