Jupiter & 3 moons Dire seeing! March 11th

Space Cowboy

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

For a good weather forecast for imaging planets, I am looking at

http://www.skippysky.com.au/

it seems to fit well looking at all the details H/M/L clouds, transparency, seeing, pressure, low wind, jetstream.

I have been using it for a few weeks and it looks like it correlates very well for final results I got so far (and the best I got was with combination of all above paramters being best -I did not get all parameters at their"best" but say on a high side and got my best results).

A good effort Stuart.

I too was out and have captured some images - but I agree the conditions were awful for me too.

It would have been a great image - GRS, three moons tight together and a little later a shadow transit.

Lee

Hi

For a good weather forecast for imaging planets, I am looking at

http://www.skippysky.com.au/

it seems to fit well looking at all the details H/M/L clouds, transparency, seeing, pressure, low wind, jetstream.

I have been using it for a few weeks and it looks like it correlates very well for final results I got so far (and the best I got was with combination of all above paramters being best -I did not get all parameters at their"best" but say on a high side and got my best results).

Thanks for that.It is one

of the best ones I have seen.

Steve

Not the end of the world but this hobby does drive me crazy! :angry4:  Just shows high pressure is no guarantee of good seeing.

Sometimes I get better seeing out

of my 4"Refractor than the C11.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/se-series/celestron-nexstar-6se.html

I think one of these might be

my next investment.Great for a

portable scope

Steve

I dont think there is any guarantee of good seeing you just have to get out there.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I see that you have a obsy.With me, it

takes forever to set things up, so you

want to be pretty certain that it is

going to be ok.If it looks doggy I

don't bother.I think this is why, a

lot of people, end up selling there gear.

Steve

I see that you have a obsy.With me, it

takes forever to set things up, so you

want to be pretty certain that it is

going to be ok.If it looks doggy I

don't bother.I think this is why, a

lot of people, end up selling there gear.

Steve

I have to agree Steve.

The biggest change in my hobby was building an observatory.

Everything is set up and ready to go. And when the bad weather rolls in, it's a quick shut down too.

Lee

Often frustrating Stuart and that's certainly not amongst your best, but appreciate the posting.   It's comforting to know that we all suffer from dire seeing from time to time and it serves as a useful comparator.

I can certainly recognise bad seeing now on a familiar target, but whilst aware of the Pickering scale, find it hard to quantify if the seeing is fair, good or excellent - due mainly to a lack of experience.     Damien Peache's guide at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dpeach78/seeing2002.htm is pretty handy, though getting a true feel will take time.    

Would be nice if someone could develop a programme to analyse our capture's and come up with a number based on focal length and pixel size, though appreciate that elevation, collimation and cooling are also going to affect the max attainable values for any target.

Roll off roof Observatory. (built by me - never again)

I don't think it is something I would ever

get round to doing.The work involved.

Steve.

It was a lot of work Steve, and I'd do a few things different, but having an obsy is just so good - I can now get away from the wife and my two girls (even when it is cloudy), lol

Roll off roof Observatory. (built by me - never again)

I don't think it is something I would ever

get round to doing.The work involved.

Steve.

No small effort or cost on my observatory - even worth the hernia!    Everything is setup, cool and ready to go and I can be out there and running within 10 minutes if the weather gods and good lady allow ;)   Just need to find an itinerant lumberjack to clear the neighbour's trees and improve the eastern horizon :)

Really thought last night was going to be special but seeing was the worst I've ever seen. Conditions had actually improved slightly when I got this capture but its still lousy.

Thanks for posting that.  

I can see the difference when compared with your posting a few days ago. I'm not so depressed at how poor my efforts were last night, when compared to my better attempts.

Mike

Stars were twinkling big time down in Somerset so thought otherwise of going out. I find most seeing forecasts incredibly unreliable and just rely solely on my own gut feel most of the time!! Still a good effort though Stuart and shows your committment to the pursuit of great images.

Pete

I find the only way to be certain is to look through the scope.

Looked at the stars twinkling last night and was not convinced so set up quickly and was rewarded with quite reasonable conditions although by the time your image was taken things had gone pear shaped..

Will try and post image after work.

Martin

I do like the image. Jupiter seems to be suffering a lot from poor seeing at the moment. I was out last Friday night and it was very poor then as well (and with Mars)... And others commented on it as well then.

So, as a beginner, I would like to ask if there is a particular reason for the apparently widespread poor seeing these nights. Is it to do with the moon being close by and washing out the view for instance?

It's going to be clear again tonight but the sun is out now and warming everything up, come evening the temperature will drop sharply and the air will be turbulent as a result. That is just the low level atmosphere, if there are also fast winds high up that will add to the problems. So I'll likely set up my gear but won't expect to do much until after 10pm when hopefully it will start to settle down. I think only planetary, lunar, and maybe stuff (galaxies and clusters) in the opposite side of the sky to the moon will be available. You can forget nebulae unless you're into narrow band.

ChrisH

Here is some live footage. Zip file attached with animated GIF :

I'm sure its thermal turbulence caused by the north east wind blowing cool air off the hills which then plunged like a waterfall into the warm thermal currents rising off the ground from the spring sunshine earlier in the day. The fuzzy disturbance looks very similar to when I blow a hair drier onto the secondary.

poor seeing march 11th.zip

Archived