Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

YorkieGraham

Jupiter fantastic satellite conjunction

Just managed to pick them out with the bins, so thank you for that.  I'd have a go at imaging but when I got back from taking the kids swimming this evening the sky was cloudy and the forecast had changed from a clear spell up until midnight to cloudy as well so I decided I'd be having a night indoors doing some processing.  Needless to say it is now clear :)

I might have a try later once my current stacking run finishes if it is still clear and I can stay awake.

James

Dashed out a while ago as I thought I might still catch the GRS (missed it) - this was a good consolation and at least I now know the Jupiter app on my phone is pretty accurate (Ganymede was billy-no-mates btw).

Got both, some excellent belt details at x220,

Nick.

I had a wonderful view at 200x and the shadow transit was pin sharp. That's before Jupiter went behind the neighbour's chimney. Here's an image I took with my xbox webcam and processed in Registax. I initially thought the shadow transit was dust on the sensor.

post-22790-0-19757700-1394581105_thumb.j

Edited by WaveSoarer
  • Like 10

Lovely ! Confirms the observed split in the southern belt and festoons elsewhere,

Nick.

• Like 1

It was superb to observe and the double transit the other night too,

Jupiter is putting on quite a show at the moment.

A lovely sight! A very good view of the transit, nice and sharp with a lot of detail of the Jovian disc at 166x.

Hope the weather holds for the shadow transits of Ganymede and Io, on Sunday.

Clear skies!

ok! reading this thread again I realise what the dark dot I thought I saw was - another personal first, yay! - thanks

• Like 1

Really lovely :)

Jupiter is a hell of a sight at the moment, the belts seem very active.  I'm seeing more in my 6inch than I ever did in my larger scopes.   I have been trying a new technique though, I call it the stare!  I figure that the best way to pick out detail in the planet is to stare are it directly and not blink therefore doing a sort of biological long exposure.  It seems I can pick out more detail doing this and only blinking when I need to and ensuring that I'm looking right at it so the same part of my retina is picking up the light.

Seems to work for me!

• Like 2

Here's an image I took with my xbox webcam 

:icon_eek:

Ok, so now I'm definitely going to start hooking up my phone to my bins and see what I can shoot.

:D

In all seriousness though, that's a lovely photo!

• Like 1

I have been trying a new technique though, I call it the stare!  I figure that the best way to pick out detail in the planet is to stare are it directly and not blink therefore doing a sort of biological long exposure.  

Sure you can get arrested for that sort of observing ;) , or slapped!  Though should be ok provided the telescope remains pointed skywards.   I do like the idea of unaided long exposure with the Mk1 eyeball :)

It was a very striking alignment of Io, Callisto and Europa and interesting to see their relative motions as I was processing my data last night.   Also excellent seeing at this end of the country, definitely the best conditions I've seen so far this year - fingers crossed for some more.

I will have to get back out and have a look at Jupiter again before it leaves us. Having said that, ive not been out for months, but i do want to set everything up and figure out how it all works again!

Matt

Thanks Christeen. Not bad for a camera that costs less than £5. The nose piece and IR filter cost more.

I spotted this and the shadow transit enjoyed a good few hours last night :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk