Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter fantastic satellite conjunction

YorkieGraham

Just managed to pick them out with the bins, so thank you for that.  I'd have a go at imaging but when I got back from taking the kids swimming this evening the sky was cloudy and the forecast had changed from a clear spell up until midnight to cloudy as well so I decided I'd be having a night indoors doing some processing.  Needless to say it is now clear :)

I might have a try later once my current stacking run finishes if it is still clear and I can stay awake.

James

Dashed out a while ago as I thought I might still catch the GRS (missed it) - this was a good consolation and at least I now know the Jupiter app on my phone is pretty accurate (Ganymede was billy-no-mates btw).

I had a wonderful view at 200x and the shadow transit was pin sharp. That's before Jupiter went behind the neighbour's chimney. Here's an image I took with my xbox webcam and processed in Registax. I initially thought the shadow transit was dust on the sensor.

post-22790-0-19757700-1394581105_thumb.j

Really lovely :)

Jupiter is a hell of a sight at the moment, the belts seem very active.  I'm seeing more in my 6inch than I ever did in my larger scopes.   I have been trying a new technique though, I call it the stare!  I figure that the best way to pick out detail in the planet is to stare are it directly and not blink therefore doing a sort of biological long exposure.  It seems I can pick out more detail doing this and only blinking when I need to and ensuring that I'm looking right at it so the same part of my retina is picking up the light.

Seems to work for me!

I have been trying a new technique though, I call it the stare!  I figure that the best way to pick out detail in the planet is to stare are it directly and not blink therefore doing a sort of biological long exposure.  

Sure you can get arrested for that sort of observing ;) , or slapped!  Though should be ok provided the telescope remains pointed skywards.   I do like the idea of unaided long exposure with the Mk1 eyeball :)

It was a very striking alignment of Io, Callisto and Europa and interesting to see their relative motions as I was processing my data last night.   Also excellent seeing at this end of the country, definitely the best conditions I've seen so far this year - fingers crossed for some more.

Archived