SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New to forum and Astronomy

Daniel Nexstar

Hi All,

I'm new here and pretty new to astronomy in general. i've done a bit of star gazing with Binoculars in the past and have today ordered myself a Celestron Nexstar 6se from FLO!! I usually sit back and read through Forums without having much input on things but i'm hoping with this hobby i can be a bit more active on here and get into some discussions etc. I'm really looking forward to my first ever telescope to arrive.

I have ordered a few Accessories to go with the scope and being indecisive this seemed like hard work choosing what to get to start off with but what i went for was:

Astrozap flexible Dew shield.

Maplins Power supply

Power Cable

Celestron X-CEL LX 9mm EP

Celestron X-CEL 2x Barlow

Baader Neutral density moon filter

i'll keep my fingers crossed that i can get the hang of using the scope fairly quick and have many clear nights viewings.

Thanks for reading

Daniel

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice buy Daniel,

i might of bought the 18mm eyepiece instead of the 9mm, 18mm with a 2 x barlow attached will give you 9mm so two for the price of one eyepiece, 9mm will be ok on it`s own but barlowed it will properly be too much magnification, if that`s what you intend to do with it of course, if not just ignore me. 

18mm will give you a nice view of things like the Moon also.

Hi Daniel and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us and hope that we can help along the way. One thing you could do is download a copy of the planetarium programme Stellarium - That will really give you a good idea of where stuff is and help you find it.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi Daniel welcome to the lounge,

and welcome to this wonderful hobby, you will get some enjoyable

nights with your new kit when it arrives as the weather is good for 

at least another 4 days. Enjoy!

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Thank you all for your warm welcomes, the eyepiece was really brought to get a feel for the range, hopefully by the end of the year I'll have nice set of different sizes. I've downloaded stellarium seems like nice bit of software I'm having fun with that. I don't seem to be having much luck with phone apps for the sky, it doesn't seem to know where I'm pointing ever. I'll keep trying

Hi Daniel and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on ordering a very capable scope and I'm sure it 's going to provide you with some great views, particularly the planets and the moon! If I was to add to your list of goodies, I would probably consider getting a red dot finder like the Telrad, though perhaps a tad big for the scope from an aesthetic view point or better still a Rigel Quikfinder. Very useful in getting the scope into the right spot bearing in mind that your 6se scope will have a small field of view due to its long focal length and in addition there are some maps out there that include the Telrad circles so as to make star hopping easier when judging the distances between objects - you can see an example here and derives from this listing.

Clear skies for the scope's arrival and hope you enjoy your stay here.

James

Archived