Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon t-adapter problem

Thalestris24

Dunno why i just thought that was for guiding....good luck....i think the hardest bit is getting them focused.....

It's a bit hefty for guiding! My problem at the mo seems at least partly due to poor signal/noise of guide stars. The mount is drifting away from the imaging target after a few minutes. Not much better than unguided! I think I'll have to get a decent lp filter just for the st-80 guide scope.....

Cheers

Louise

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If its a small amount of "rotation" between the adaptor and the camera body, a common cause is the fit of locking pin from the camera body into the "matching" slot on the T-adaptor... I used to push some  blutack  or foil into the slot after the adaptor had been fitted  I also used to use tape across any "joins" in the imaging train...

You can get the same "play" with camera lenses....

Peter..

Oh well, it looks like I didn't need another T-ring after all... I noticed tonight when slewing to a target (with PHD guiding on) that after Stellarium shows the scope as having arrived at the target that the mount appears to keep moving for several seconds. I could see the stars in the guiding window still moving across several 2s exposures. Hmm... I've no idea what's causing that but it might explain several problems I've had recently. It sounds like a possible mount issue? 

Louise

You could try CdC compare how it works to Stellarium, doesn't need any other software just a few bit to set and it work, while its not such a nice interface as Stellarium its not difficult to use.....

Hi Tinker

I don't think it's likely to be a Stellarium problem otherwise lots of people would be complaining about it. Plus I haven't always had the problem. It's something that's crept in fairly recently.  I'm not sure which direction the movement was but it was in one direction. If it's in DEC maybe it could be a backlash problem? I dunno, I'll have to try some things out to see if I can pin it down. Can't do anything for the next week - got assignments to do!

Cheers

Louise

You could check the balance and make it a just bit heavy on one side so the motors push against the weight and this should stop the backlash. I have a week off... :)

Hi Tinker

I just re-balanced it the other day and didn't make it east-heavy because it was slightly east-heavy before and I thought that might have been causing the problem! Poor logic from me, I know... I'll just have to try a few things out... Time for bed now - zzzz.....

Cheers

Louise

• 2 years later...

hi 2017 and i have a problem with t adaptor for eos canon ordered one and movement was evident . just sent it back and the new one has also got movement if u watch when u load it too the camera the small spring pin popped up as the adaptor is turned . this pin should lock the adaptor but as the groove in the adaptor has been machined a little wide and possibly in wrong position the movement is evident . obviously the movement is quite an amount on the o.d of the adaptor. i would of thought any movement is bad after talking to the two different suppliers they have both said they have had no problems with them  colin

Every T adapter I have tried is loose because the slot is too wide, I now use an M42 adapter (which has a small hole instead) along with a 10 mm T thread extension piece to get the same thickness. I know that the M42 and T threads are different but the fit ok with mine.

Alan

On 11/03/2014 at 14:39, Thalestris24 said:

Hi all

I have an 1100d with a t-adapter and I've noticed that there is some play between the camera and the adapter. This might be the cause of some recent imaging problems I've had. There are some grub screws around the edge but they seem very tight. So I'm thinking of getting a replacement t-ring. However, there are lots on the market, though, at various prices. I'm wondering if anyone knows if there are any differences between them i.e. are the more expensive versions better engineered / a better fit? Of course, the play might be the fault of the camera but it's fairly new (last November) and the t-ring seldom gets undone. Maybe the T-ring is not actually the cause of the problems but it's very suspicious!

Has anyone noticed this slight play with their adapter? Any feedback or wisdom gratefully received!

Cheers

Louise

I had a similar problem with one of the EOS-T2 adapters that I purchased on an auction site.

My solution was to replace it. I bought one from FLO, I think, and another from 365 - OK, they were more than the £4.90 from auction site, but I've not noticed any movement between with either and the  camera.

The more expensive are not necessarily the best machine unfortunately as I found out with T2 adapters for my Nikon and Olympus cameras. I bought from the same manufacturer for both of those cameras and the Nikon was really loose, and the Olympus was so tight it barely attached.

3 minutes ago, iapa said:

I had a similar problem with one of the EOS-T2 adapters that I purchased on an auction site.

My solution was to replace it. I bought one from FLO, I think, and another from 365 - OK, they were more than the £4.90 from auction site, but I've not noticed any movement between with either and the  camera.

The more expensive are not necessarily the best machine unfortunately as I found out with T2 adapters for my Nikon and Olympus cameras. I bought from the same manufacturer for both of those cameras and the Nikon was really loose, and the Olympus was so tight it barely attached.

i think I bought one from Flo and it was the same as the cheap one... 

Archived