Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon t-adapter problem

Thalestris24

Hi all

I have an 1100d with a t-adapter and I've noticed that there is some play between the camera and the adapter. This might be the cause of some recent imaging problems I've had. There are some grub screws around the edge but they seem very tight. So I'm thinking of getting a replacement t-ring. However, there are lots on the market, though, at various prices. I'm wondering if anyone knows if there are any differences between them i.e. are the more expensive versions better engineered / a better fit? Of course, the play might be the fault of the camera but it's fairly new (last November) and the t-ring seldom gets undone. Maybe the T-ring is not actually the cause of the problems but it's very suspicious!

Has anyone noticed this slight play with their adapter? Any feedback or wisdom gratefully received!

Cheers

Louise

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

I recently bought a 3X Barlow with attached T adapter. It was loose when fitted to the camera so I sent the T adapter back and used another T adapter that I had which is tight on the camera.

You get what you pay for but, I bought some T adapters on Amazon and there are the business. Don't, whatever you do, buy the sort that are thin and shiny metal.

The grub screws are just for adjusting where you want the red dot to be for attaching to your camera. I had to adjust one to fit onto a filter wheel so that it avoided hitting the flash on the camera.

Peter

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I should emphasise it's the canon t-ring that has the play. This is the one I have:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0039ZHWYK/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not sure if it's always had the play but it's only recently I've had problems - even with 10s exposures, though not every time. They seem to be camera / vibration related and it was when I was checking over things that I noticed the play. It may have always been there and not caused a problem - in which case something else is causing trouble! I've had guiding issues too but they may (or may not!) be unrelated.

Alan - how did you fit your washer between the t-ring and the camera? I can't see how anything would fit between...

Cheers

Louise

Hi Louise

I have the same issue with my T-ring.  The T-adapter just swings around although I have tried to tighten it. It doesn't seem to present any problems when I'm imaging though, so I'm just sticking with it for now.

Do you by any chance use a remote on your camera for the shutter, just a mention as the vibration being sustained by any camera with direct pressing on the shutter button will wreck those first few miliseconds when you start the photo. If you don't have a remote i'd suggest getting one, they sell very cheaply on amazon etc, but if you can, try and fork out on a timer remote, they are the dogs doo daas when taking loads of photos for stacking etc.

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I should emphasise it's the canon t-ring that has the play. This is the one I have:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0039ZHWYK/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not sure if it's always had the play but it's only recently I've had problems - even with 10s exposures, though not every time. They seem to be camera / vibration related and it was when I was checking over things that I noticed the play. It may have always been there and not caused a problem - in which case something else is causing trouble! I've had guiding issues too but they may (or may not!) be unrelated.

Alan - how did you fit your washer between the t-ring and the camera? I can't see how anything would fit between...

Cheers

Louise

It was a very thin piece of cellophane that i got from a gift box just cut out a ring with a small hole for the locking pin to engage in but it depends how much play you have.

Alan

If you undo the small screws does the adapter come apart by unscrewing, i would be tempted to use some super glue on it, after all if it doesn't make it solid your going to buy anothet t-ring anyway, my Canon 1100D i think came from FLO, it doesn't have any movement.....they are a bit more expensive....

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/t-rings.html

Thanks for the replies.

Proflight2000 - everything is computer controlled via usb :)

For the meantime I've put a wee bit of pvc insulating tape on the inside which has maybe reduced the play. I've ordered one of the FLO T-rings - £24, lol. Hope I haven't wasted my money!

Cheers

Louise

If you undo the small screws does the adapter come apart by unscrewing, i would be tempted to use some super glue on it, after all if it doesn't make it solid your going to buy anothet t-ring anyway, my Canon 1100D i think came from FLO, it doesn't have any movement.....they are a bit more expensive....

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/t-rings.html

Tinker - the play is between the ring and the camera. I'm not about to put superglue anywhere near the camera! It isn't very much movement and maybe it's not the cause of the problems I've been having. Looks like clear skies again tonight :) so will see how things go later.

Louise

Sorry thought it was the ring and its other bit, no glue on the camera for sure.....so what are your imagine problems..i'm sure somebody reading this thread will have a cure....the met radar does like nice and clear for tonight....

Sorry thought it was the ring and its other bit, no glue on the camera for sure.....so what are your imagine problems..i'm sure somebody reading this thread will have a cure....the met radar does like nice and clear for tonight....

Hi Tinker

I have a long list of problems at the moment! The particular one with short exposures shows up when using Astrotortilla for polar alignment and plate solving after slewing. The second exposure it takes (via APT) often shows quite severe signs of movement/vibration - but not every time. The mount can't have moved far in 10s so not sure what the root cause of that is. Maybe there's a problem with the camera shutter - hope not! Other problems I have relate to poor guiding - sometimes very poor! There could be lots of reasons for that and I'm trying to eliminate likely problems. To complicate matters, yesterday I changed from a finder guider to using my ST-80 as a guide scope.... I figured that might improve the guiding but I've introduced another variable! I rebalanced everything earlier and there's no obvious sign of flexure but it's a work in progress, I think! Last night there were no actual clouds but seeing was poor, transparency was poor, and especially later on, was getting a lot of lp reflected back from the sky. All reducing the guiding s/n... I'm hoping the atmosphere will be kinder tonight! Wouldn't it be good to have some sort of simulator that would let you refine the scope guiding during the day or when it's cloudy!

Cheers

Louise

I think i remember you saying your viewing is done through a open window, this could have a lot of thermal movement which might not help....??

Um, yes, but the room is the same temperature as outside - freezing last night! So I don't think that's a major factor really. In any case, it's my only option so I have to live with the limitations.

I have a QHY8L on the way - I hope that might improve things and give me better images - when I can get them! :)

Cheers

Louise

Well there's this - http://sweiller.free.fr/SGE/SGE-star-guiding-emulator.htm

It came in very handy to diagnose a partly faulty cable without having to waste a clear night.

That looks quite clever but it doesn't look like you can use a normal setup so a bit limited. Still, I'd try it out if I had the space!

Thanks

Louise

I've had a few T-rings, and they can be extremely variable in quality.  The one I have now moves very slightly, but not enough to cause any issues.  If you're not happy, it's basically a case of trying another...  

Hmm,,, it seems to a bit hit and miss as to whether they are a tight fit. After I ordered one from FLO earlier I got an email from Bernard at MA to say my QHY8L had been dispatched - typical! He said the other day it would be a couple of weeks before he'd get a new batch in at the higher price. Hmm... Oh well. 

Louise

Archived