Meade VS GSO 40mm Plossl

Saturninus

<br />

<br />

I expect that these two EPs are a actually the same optically. What i am wondering is if there are any differences in usable eye relief due to exterior build or eyecups or anything. Actually, i'm hoping that the eyelens is recessed enough and the eyecup comes out far enough to rest against my eye socket and block out stray light. Are they both built this way? I dont wear glasses, so i prefer to keep my eye closer. When eye relief is too long, i find eye placement tricky. Anyone use both or either?

I use the 5-element Revelation (GSO) 42mm eyepiece (2-inch fitting, with 65 degrees)

The eyecup is a basic rubber one which folds out about 5mm or 10mm.

It won't extend out anywhere near to the quoted 30mm eye relief on the 40mm.

You might need a few attempts before you are comfortable with finding the correct eye placement.

I tip my head forwards to get it right.

The 42mm is functional for a budget eyepiece, and worth the £36 I paid for it (appx $55)

I don't us it very often, so I knew I only needed a cheapy for occasional use.

But for optical performance, the 2-inch GSO version is nothing special when compared to the excellent 24mm MaxVision 68o, and the 11mm Explore Scientific 82o

It has edge effects, and lacks contrast + sharpness when trying to focus.

Plus, I recently found out that the exit pupil works out at 7mm on my scope.

It is a usable eyepiece - but not spectacular.

Hi Saturninus, i would suggest that the 40mm standard plossl will not get much use, not wide enough to be a widefield etc, I guess you would do much better in considering a 32mm plossl, darker sky background, slightly better magnification for a low power, and will show exactly the same area of sky as the 40mm.

Archived