Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Hyperion MK III Zoom

M4lcs67

Bought this a few weeks ago as an addition to my eyepiece set-up, but tonight has been the first opportunity to give it a spin.

I am using it in 2" mode and first impressions are very good. It is an absolute boon to use when setting the scope up. Switching from wide to close when centering objects is brilliant. The only alternative previously was to swap eyepieces, but now a couple of clicks and bang.

One question I would like to know from other MK III owners is when switching settings there is a defined click for all but the 8mm setting. Are they all like that? The action of changing settings is smooth and precise. The ep oozes quality and the views are lovely and crisp through my scope. Luckily I had the chance to really give it a whirl tonight as it has been so clear. The moon has been fabulous as had Jupiter. I even saw the faint smudge of the Andromeda Galaxy. I haven't seen that for 3 years and that was with my old 127 SLT Mak. Also the Orion Nebular. Waited up for Mars to make an appearance as well. I had the neighbours and their kids come around to have a look as well. They were knocked out.

Finally bagged Saturn to round things off. My first time seeing that this year. I never get tired of seeing it, but with my new zoom it just makes things so much easier.

All in all at top, top nights stargazing.

Nice review Malc  :smiley:

I had a Mk II Hyperion zoom in the past and I've recently picked up a Mk III again. It's a nice eyepiece except at 24mm when the field stop gets mushy and the field of view is smaller than the specs claim. I use it as a 20mm-8mm zoom  :smiley:

I've just zoomed mine and there is a faint but distinct "click" at all the settings including 8mm. You can use it at any point in between the "clicks" of course.

I use mine with the 2" barrel attached although it's still a 1.25" eyepiece of course. I also use the tall narrower rubber eye cup because I found that the wider twist up and down one was loose and kept falling off !

Overall a pretty decent eyepiece though and easy for other, non-astronomers, to look though too  :smiley:

Heya. I bought my Baader Hyperion MKIII zoom  (+ 2.25 barlow) earlier this year, and on mine there is no click on the 8mm setting. 

I love the baader hyperion zoom + the barlow and I use it on my tiny heritage 130p.

I picked one up earlier this week but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Thought it odd that, with all the fittings supplied, there wasn't a 2" nose cap. Looking forward to using it.

Sounds like a great night Malc, and a good review too.  I also have the Baader zoom (mine clicks, but very softly at 8mm) and I'm a big fan.  Good for when you're setting up and ideal for when you're observing an object and want to get a wider or closer view.

I do agree with what John says about the 24mm click too - I got a standard 25mm with the scope that I actually prefer to use because of the lack of mush and the wider field of view, but at 20mm - 8mm the Baader beats the stock eye pieces by a long way.

I'm hoping to get some time 'zooming' on Mars and Saturn over the next couple of nights, the forecast is looking good and Metcheck are saying the seeing will be good too.  Need all the help we can get with Mars and Saturn this year, given that their elevation puts them right in amoungst the rooftops and boiler outlet pipes of the houses up the road!  :rolleyes:

I found the mk3 zoom very useful , particularly when traveling out , a great grab and go tool. I also wasn't as keane on the low power views it gave though. I paired the zoom with a 31mm aspheric for nice wide views. Thaey made a nice partnership.

I bought mine to use with my big 6" F/12 refractor. I'm looking to minimise the need to swap eyepieces with this massive scope while maintaining very good image quality. The Hyperion Zoom will give 75x - 225x with that scope which will be a good working range for most purposes I reckon  :smiley:

Me too, John. I wanted to be able to use my scope without the need to constant switching of eyepieces all the time in certain circumstances. Obviously there will be compromises, but from where I am standing the pros outweigh the cons. This doesn't mean that I am going to sell all my other eyepieces of course. The zoom will just complement what I have already.

Archived