CS5 not enough memory ?

Davey-T

Just stacked some 60Da subs in DSS saved as TIFF, when I try to open it in CS5  I get a not enough memory to open picture message.

The picture is 125.6 MB and CS5 settings says it has 2030 MB available.

Anyone shed any light on this ?

Dave

used to get issues like that a few years ago but not recently since I upgraded my PC with a better CPU and a load of memory

but this is what Adobe says about memory

Available RAM is not your total RAM. Photoshop subtracts RAM required for the operating system. 

By default, Photoshop uses 70% of available RAM. You can assign more or less RAM to Photoshop by changing the value in the Let Photoshop Use box. Or, you can drag the Memory Usage slider. Restart Photoshop for changes to take effect.

The default RAM allocation of 70% is fine for most people running the 32-bit version of Photoshop. To find the ideal RAM allocation for your system, change it in 5% increments and monitor performance in the Efficiency status indicator. See Keep an eye on the Efficiency indicator.

If you run the 64-bit version of Photoshop and you experience out-of-RAM or out-of-memory errors, increase your RAM allocation. With no other applications running, you can increase the RAM allocation to 100% to improve Photoshop performance.

If you run the 32-bit version of Photoshop, you can experience out-of-RAM errors if you set the RAM allocation to 100%. If you get out-of-RAM errors, reduce the RAM allocation to 85% to 90% and retest. If problems continue, reduce the RAM allocation in 5% increments. Retest until the error stops occurring, or use the 64-bit version of Photoshop if you can

Checked drizzle setting off,  upped memory allocation to 100% but still the same, uninstalled DSS and installed latest version. This appears to be something to do with DSS as I can open TIFFS of the same size created in other applications.

Dave

But DSS can save in 32 or 16 bit... It might be worth checking which your using....

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/798119

and in particular....

this reply  from no other than Noel Carboni....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Noel

Thanks for that.

What's the pixel count in that file? It's 6078x4028

How was the file created? It was created in Deep Sky Stacker (DSS), astro imaging software. This creates 32bit HDR files by default, although the file size increased with this one as I used 2xdrizzle

What I have done since is reopen the file in DSS (which I can do, suggesting it's not corrupt) and then saving it as a 16bit tif. Interestingly, this increased the file size to 140MB for some reason, and CS5 was able to open it. So it seems not to be the file size that is causing the problem. And CS5 routinely opens 32bit HDR files out of DSS, but most are about 35MB.

Hmmm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peter....

used to get issues like that a few years ago but not recently since I upgraded my PC with a better CPU and a load of memory

but this is what Adobe says about memory

+1. When I upgraded to cs5 64 bit it still only allocated 70% of 4Gb of ram (32 bit native) despite my pc having 8Gb. I changed the settings and it sorted loads of problems.

I've changed it to 100% but still won't open the file.

If I look in "properties" the unstacked TIFF has 102mb, 5184x3456 pixels, 350 dpi and bit depth 48.

The Autosaved stacked TIFF has, 120mb, 5184x3456 pixels, 100 dpi and bit depth 96.

Both claim to open in PS 

Same in Maxim, it will open the unstacked TIFFs but not the stacked one.

Hope I'm not going to have to join another forum :)

Dave

I think it's 32 bit, only just started using DSS , how do you reopen a stacked pic ?

Dave

Just found this in DSS help file, don't know what it means though :)

Photoshop can not open the 32 bit (integer) TIFF files created by DeepSkyStacker?
Right, You must save the file in 32 bit (rational) TIFF file format to open them later in Photoshop.
Software like Pleiades’ PixInsight can open 32 bit (integer) TIFF files created by DeepSkyStacker.

I think it's 32 bit, only just started using DSS , how do you reopen a stacked pic ?

Dave

Just found this in DSS help file, don't know what it means though :)

Photoshop can not open the 32 bit (integer) TIFF files created by DeepSkyStacker?

Right, You must save the file in 32 bit (rational) TIFF file format to open them later in Photoshop.

Software like Pleiades’ PixInsight can open 32 bit (integer) TIFF files created by DeepSkyStacker.

Open Picture file under the Processing Section then  Save Picture to File under the same section   and make sure you have TIFF Image (16 bit/ch) as the sub type....

Peter...

Archived