Narrowband

Imaging with the 130pds

Russe

Talking about dithering with PHD2, can anybody post a screenshot of its PHD2 dither parameters please?.

Twice I have tried to dither with phd2 but it seems to be unable to stop the dither loop and continue with the exposures, so I guess my parameters are not correct.

Cheers.

Mario.

M81 from the other night in Didcot. I'm enjoying using the 130 when I have time but I'm still struggling to get th autofocus working right. Might need to invest in a wider field of view camera too. 0.85 arc sec/pixel is really pushing it sometimes.

M81 LRGB db small.jpg

Edited by Tiny Small
  • Like 9

Just a quick and dirty go at the horse head. No flats, No darks, No bias just 10 lights (180s) stuck into DSS and a quick develop in startools. I really need to get my calibration data sorted.

spill

horse.jpg

Edited by spillage
  • Like 6

Thanks @richyrich_one I am really struggling with my flats and darks but as soon as this is sorted I can start to improve things and remove the rubbish out of my images.

The sky is looking poor tonight so I may have another go at my calibration frames. I got another few hours out of the rosette last night but my alarm failed to go off at 0230 so also ended up with few hours of data to bin due to the flip. So might add this extra to my attempts.

rose.jpg

• Like 1

I should reply that I am manually focusing for every filter/temperature change. In reality its using my home made bahtinov mask (cornflake box) and live view in apt at the beginning of the night then leaving it at that. I am looking at getting autofocus for the 130 for my next purchase.

1 minute ago, spillage said:

I should reply that I am manually focusing for every filter/temperature change. In reality its using my home made bahtinov mask (cornflake box) and live view in apt at the beginning of the night then leaving it at that. I am looking at getting autofocus for the 130 for my next purchase.

Notice the double difraction spikes? That shows the focus is off.

PA is out as well. I am just playing around with the gain/offset and exposure times to see what is best for me. It definitely a lrf. Once I am happy with the camera settings and sorted out the calibration frames I will pull my socks up and pay more attention. Going from the dslr to dedicated is a bit of a learning curve for me. Even using live view took a while to sort:undecided: 

@richyrich_one ASI1600mm. Just updated my sig.

Edited by spillage

1 minute ago, spillage said:

PA is out as well. I am just playing around with the gain/offset and exposure times to see what is best for me. It definitely a lrf. Once I am happy with the camera settings and sorted out the calibration frames I will pull my socks up and pay more attention. Going from the dslr to dedicated is a bit of a learning curve for me. Even using live view took a while to sort:undecided: 

What camera?

Got a bit more data this morning so total of 18x300.

Getting tired of processing this one now and I think I've settled on this version. Used the arcsin stretch in PI which has always produced pink star cores but a slight adjustment in curves brings them back pretty well. The colour comes out a lot more natural.

Rosette.thumb.jpg.9ae893f83e187a095c33f86bf29ff81f.jpg

• Like 4

Decided to start again on M42, it's such an artistic target :)

I might add a third exposure of the outer areas since I think I can get more out of them. :)

Filter: Ha

Exposure: 60 x 128 sec for the outer area and 200 x 32 sec for the core

Processed in PI and PS

128S v2c2s.jpg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, al-alami said:

Decided to start again on M42, it's such an artistic target :)

I might add a third exposure of the outer areas since I think I can get more out of them. :)

Filter: Ha

Exposure: 60 x 128 sec for the outer area and 200 x 32 sec for the core

Processed in PI and PS

128S v2c2s.jpg

Try to use 15 secs subs for the core Fakhri, in order to have a better defined trapezium. I think with 32secs subs is overexposed. Anyway in Hapha it looks awesome. Need to find the time to test my new Optolong Halpha 12nm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Susaron said:

Try to use 15 secs subs for the core Fakhri, in order to have a better defined trapezium. I think with 32secs subs is overexposed. Anyway in Hapha it looks awesome. Need to find the time to test my new Optolong Halpha 12nm.

Thank you :)  I have lots of detail in the 32 sec exposure of the core, well at least in that single shot, I might have lightened it too much somewhere along the way.  Am not too worried since I will be reprocessing it again from scratch when I add more detail to the outer areas (they're a bit too noisy compared to the rest). :)  

I must admit, Ha always looks amazing, specially when you start getting the hang of it. :p

Goof luck with the Optolong, sho us how it goes. :)