Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging with the 130pds

Russe

700d. Annoying star artefacts; uneven star halos, two on brighter stars... I think it's the cheepo 2 element coma corrector. Planning to follow it up to the meridian tonight. If anyone could confirm, otherwise or WHY, that would be great. Cheers and clear skies.

pl.thumb.jpg.1aa000acf04ed75bb06413356ecba6d5.jpg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Galen Gilmore said:

Yea I agree. I was doing 2 minute exposures before, but I was getting a horrible gradient. I though shorter subs would get rid of it or reduce it, but it didn't. Would a LP filter help reduce these gradients?

Galen go for an IDAS LPS D1, you won´t regret, it is an excellent LPS filter, take a look to my pictures taken last month with first quarter moon.

Moreover today I have seen excellent pictures taken with the Optolong UHC filter from the Double cluster in the Spanish forum www.astronomo.org, and it seems to be another and cheapest option as it does not change the colors of the stars.

Cheers.

12 minutes ago, Susaron said:

Galen go for an IDAS LPS D1, you won´t regret, it is an excellent LPS filter, take a look to my pictures taken last month with first quarter moon.

Moreover today I have seen excellent pictures taken with the Optolong UHC filter from the Double cluster in the Spanish forum www.astronomo.org, and it seems to be another and cheapest option as it does not change the colors of the stars.

Cheers.

A bit expensive, I was thinking about buying the Orion skyglow astophotography filter. It is a little bit cheaper then the IDAS, and it seems to be recommended a lot on the cloudy nights forum.

17 minutes ago, Susaron said:

Optolong UHC filter

Hi. I've an Optolong clip CLS for my 700d which I used to take this. It needed longer exposures, but the detail was better. I think the UHC is narrower still. HTH.

Edited by alacant

Yes the Optolong are Chinese less expensive "copies" than the Astronomiks. if you want to take a look to the transmission curves, Carlos Tapia a Spanish physicist student who works in the faculty laboratory, has characterized every filter he can find or borrowed. Take a look to his page and the comparison among the Optolongs and the Astronomiks.

http://www.carlostapia.es/curvas_filtros/Comparison_UHC.html

Needless to say I own the UHC/OIII/CLS and an incoming Halpha from Optolong, I am actually very happy with them, the vision of the Veil Nebula with the OIII is simply astonishing

Edited by Susaron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First attempt of M45 from my back garden last night since i got my mount back from repairs!

3 photos stacked and edited in Photo Shop, 100 second exposures, ISO 1600 

Got it more focused here than my last attempt. 

T

M45 Processed v1 - small.jpg

• Like 4

My first try at the Owl Cluster (didn't even know about it actually). 

L 10 X 128s

RGB 5 x 128s for each

It was a quick grab at the end of the night and the weather was getting bad, I hope to revisit it because its such a pretty target. :) 

Image05_ABE_final2.jpg

• Like 3

Been watching this thread for a long time. 

I have the Star Adventurer mount for widefield with my EOS760D and lenses. 

Now looking at a telescope again for visual and AP. 

Is the 130pds on the EQ5 PRO worth the money or should I go for the 150?

5 hours ago, Jon Sales said:

For me is was worth it. The 130pds is fantastic, and is the perfect weight for an EQ5. A 150pds might be a bit too much for an EQ5 though.

Just make sure that you atleast buy the enhanced dual axis motors for the EQ5, that way you can start autoguiding when you need to.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:27, al-alami said:

My first try at the Owl Cluster (didn't even know about it actually). 

L 10 X 128s

RGB 5 x 128s for each

It was a quick grab at the end of the night and the weather was getting bad, I hope to revisit it because its such a pretty target. :) 

Image05_ABE_final2.jpg

On your left corner you have the NGC436 cluster as well, this little scope allows these wide fields.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jon Sales said:

I do use the 130PDS for visual duties as well, it is a perfect grab and go telescope for your holidays. I use an AZ4 mount along with the AZEQ5 pier tripod, all the pack fits in a sports bag.

Cheers.

On 19/11/2017 at 11:57, Jon Sales said:

There's a rumour someone, somewhere once regretted buying a 130P-DS but Snopes haven't been able to verify it.

Fine on an EQ5, I use mine on an EQ3 (with EQ5 tripod).

On 20/11/2017 at 12:26, Stub Mandrel said:

There's a rumour someone, somewhere once regretted buying a 130P-DS but Snopes haven't been able to verify it.

Fine on an EQ5, I use mine on an EQ3 (with EQ5 tripod).

Is the EQ3-2 any good or is it too flimsy?

1 hour ago, Jon Sales said:

The aluminium tripod with three-part legs is marginal for AP. I filled mine with sand, added screw braces above the central part of each leg and even welded a plate across mine, but the round stainless steel leg versions are much better.

The EQ3-2 mount itself is certainly good enough for a 130P-DS. I've been taking 5-minute subs with guiding recently and now I have a 100% keep rate (when I have all the right buttons pressed and icons clicked).

Just for fun, here's a single guided 5-Minute EQ3-2 sub processed like a stack, obviously it's a bit noisy and it's been processed a lot but I haven't done anything to adjust star shapes or remove trailing:

5a15d3402a525_Pleiadessingle.thumb.png.8c4da7ee6ab27a63052431fa154dfd3e.png

Edited by Stub Mandrel
Two copies of the same image?

22 hours ago, Jon Sales said:

You will have a better time of it with the EQ5pro and and even easier time of it with a HEQ5 pro. So yes a EQ3-2 is possible as some have demonstrated, not sure I would go so far as Good and certainly not optimal. With the EQ3-2 I would be looking at a smaller scope than the 130PDS something like the the WOZS61.  

2 hours ago, Adam J said:

You will have a better time of it with the EQ5pro and and even easier time of it with a HEQ5 pro. So yes a EQ3-2 is possible as some have demonstrated, not sure I would go so far as Good and certainly not optimal. With the EQ3-2 I would be looking at a smaller scope than the 130PDS something like the the WOZS61.  

If resources allow I would suggest an EQ5 for imaging, but I would hate anyone with an EQ3 to be put off having a go. I have some understanding of the engineering issues and the weight on a mount is largely irrelevant as the static load the plain bearings of an EQ3 can take will be more than the EQ5's ball bearings and they will be less likely to be damaged by shock loads or abuse (yes, really!) What matters is being well set up and lubed (I use teflon grease) to avoid 'stiction' as far as possible and to make sure the load is balanced well enough not to strain wormgears or motors.

A real advantage of the EQ5 types is the larger worm wheel ratio on DEC.

41 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

If resources allow I would suggest an EQ5 for imaging, but I would hate anyone with an EQ3 to be put off having a go. I have some understanding of the engineering issues and the weight on a mount is largely irrelevant as the static load the plain bearings of an EQ3 can take will be more than the EQ5's ball bearings and they will be less likely to be damaged by shock loads or abuse (yes, really!) What matters is being well set up and lubed (I use teflon grease) to avoid 'stiction' as far as possible and to make sure the load is balanced well enough not to strain wormgears or motors.

A real advantage of the EQ5 types is the larger worm wheel ratio on DEC.

Yes I think that is almost universal (if you already have one then have a go) but if spending money with a goal of imaging with a 130PDS then dont go cheap and buy twice. The work gear ratio is the biggest reason i suggested a shorter focal length scope with the EQ3-2. I was at one point considering the EQ3-2 and the WOZS61 as a travel setup paired with the QHY183m when they get around to releasing it.

Edited by Adam J

2 hours ago, al-alami said:

Hi All,

Here is my second go at the seven sisters :)

I'm actually really pleased with the result.

10 x 128 sec for Luminescence 

20 X 128 sec for each of RGB

Processed in PixInsight and PS

Image05_ABEcc.jpg

Novel framing, makes it look quite different.

• Like 1