Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging with the 130pds

Russe

On ‎19‎.‎08‎.‎2016 at 20:05, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

Please can you confirm you did these on a EQ5!!!! I'm just in the process of buying a telescope. Great pictures

Sorry for late reply, yes taken on a EQ5 Mount, but now i've upgraded to a HEQ pro and started guiding

9 hours ago, sagramore said:

Are any of you 130-PDS imagers going to be at the star party in October? I've not been to one before or met anybody so I'm quite looking forward to it!

Yep, I'll be there. Not sure if im bringing my 130 yet, as depends on a few factors (ie: how much space is left in the car)

Getting to grips with my new(ish) QHY Img2pro (314l+ equiv). Bi colour image from my 130pds of the Bubble Nebula NGC7635.

Info

7 x 600second Ha
10 x 600second OIII
10 x 600second darks

Skywatcher 130pds, HEQ5
QHY Img2pro
6nm Ha Astronomik Clip filter
12nm OIII Astronomik Clip filter

Bubble-Final-SGL.jpg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, AlastairW said:

Getting to grips with my new(ish) QHY Img2pro (314l+ equiv). Bi colour image from my 130pds of the Bubble Nebula NGC7635.

Info

7 x 600second Ha
10 x 600second OIII
10 x 600second darks

Skywatcher 130pds, HEQ5
QHY Img2pro

Bubble-Final-SGL.jpg

Interesting that you are using clip filters with a CCD, do you have some sort of converter?

On 9 September 2016 at 19:36, Adam J said:

Interesting that you are using clip filters with a CCD, do you have some sort of converter?

Hi Adam. Yes, I have a Astronomik clip to M48 adapter. I'd been imaging with my clips on a debayered 350d but recently moved to an  Img2pro (to learn the ropes of CCD imaging). Rather than splash out again on Ha and OIII 1.25 filters I thought for 20 quid it was worth a shot. Turns out the adapter works brilliantly. Pop the filter in and screw on to the end of the img2pro (img2pro, variable spacer, coma corrector, clip adapter - see image). Obviously it's not as easy as using a filter wheel but it's a viable alternative if you've already invested in clip filters.

image.jpeg

Edited by AlastairW
  • Like 1

I guess certain well known objects are worth revisiting with new kit or knowledge to see if they are any better than when you first tried.  

So this is M33 cropped with 130pds and Atik 383L+

Processed in PI in  LRGB about 38x600s L and 12x600s each of RGB

m33_130pds_383l_rgb_more_dbe_cc_hist_nr_hdrmt_ct_r_3_crop.jpg

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, halli said:

I guess certain well known objects are worth revisiting with new kit or knowledge to see if they are any better than when you first tried.  

So this is M33 cropped with 130pds and Atik 383L+

Processed in PI in  LRGB about 38x600s L and 12x600s each of RGB

m33_130pds_383l_rgb_more_dbe_cc_hist_nr_hdrmt_ct_r_3_crop.jpg

What a jawdropping image!! Well done!

7 hours ago, CrashEd said:

Is anyone using the AZ EQ5-GT mount with the 130pds? I'm thinking of getting one (and a 130) to do some AP. Specs are similar to the HEQ5, so presimably it should be ok?

Hi 

Yes I have an AZEQ5, and I have used first with a SW200/1000PDS, for visual duties, and planetary photographs, the picture on my profile is taken with that combination and an ASI120MM.

Last year in order to jump to DS photo I bought the SW130PDS, the reason is the weight. Thought I have made attempts in DS with the 200 (and i will continue doing), the 130 is a lightweight performer, 3.62 kgs vs the 9 kg of the 200. So in the end your guiding will suffer less problems due to lesser inertia moments. Moreover I can use the coma corrector from the 200 so less things to buy.

Though the AZEQ5 max. payload is 15kg around 30lbs, if you use a reflector you shouldn´t carry more than the 50% of the maximum payload. The 130 combined with a reflex camera, filters wheel and guide tube will achived around 6.5kg on my set up. The pictures taken on a previous message without guidance have been done with that combination.

I am a devote fan of the AZEQ5, is very very quiet, the pointing accuracy is superb, and it is highly transportable, I can do the set up in less than 30 minutes at the field. Moreover you can use it in azimutal mode with a couple of refractors. There is a review on the Sky and Telescope Magazine last June done by Alan Dyer.

A couple of problems with the AZEQ5 are, the power comsumption, so you will need a battery with around 19Ah which last a whole night, and the polar finder, which is sold apart, though you can consider as well to buy the QHY Polemaster.

if you have further questions do not hesitate to post here.

Cheers.

Edited by Susaron
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Susaron said:

Hi 

Yes I have an AZEQ5, and I have used first with a SW200/1000PDS, for visual duties, and planetary photographs, the picture on my profile is taken with that combination and an ASI120MM.

Last year in order to jump to DS photo I bought the SW130PDS, the reason is the weight. Thought I have made attempts in DS with the 200 (and i will continue doing), the 130 is a lightweight performer, 3.62 kgs vs the 9 kg of the 200. So in the end your guiding will suffer less problems due to lesser inertia moments. Moreover I can use the coma corrector from the 200 so less things to buy.

Though the AZEQ5 max. payload is 15kg around 30lbs, if you use a reflector you shouldn´t carry more than the 50% of the maximum payload. The 130 combined with a reflex camera, filters wheel and guide tube will achived around 6.5kg on my set up. The pictures taken on a previous message without guidance have been done with that combination.

I am a devote fan of the AZEQ5, is very very quiet, the pointing accuracy is superb, and it is highly transportable, I can do the set up in less than 30 minutes at the field. Moreover you can use it in azimutal mode with a couple of refractors. There is a review on the Sky and Telescope Magazine last June done by Alan Dyer.

A couple of problems with the AZEQ5 are, the power comsumption, so you will need a battery with around 19Ah which last a whole night, and the polar finder, which is sold apart, though you can consider as well to buy the QHY Polemaster.

if you have further questions do not hesitate to post here.

Cheers.

Many thanks for posting that Susaron - valuable information. It seems to tick all the boxes for me as I intend to use it for visual work with my SCT in AZ mode and to begin imaging with a 130pds in EQ mode. 

Without sidetracking the original thread, how does it handle the 200pds and is it possible to image with it?

8 hours ago, AlastairW said:

Hi Adam. Yes, I have a Astronomik clip to M48 adapter. I'd been imaging with my clips on a debayered 350d but recently moved to an  Img2pro (to learn the ropes of CCD imaging). Rather than splash out again on Ha and OIII 1.25 filters I thought for 20 quid it was worth a shot. Turns out the adapter works brilliantly. Pop the filter in and screw on to the end of the img2pro (img2pro, variable spacer, coma corrector, clip adapter - see image). Obviously it's not as easy as using a filter wheel but it's a viable alternative if you've already invested in clip filters.

image.jpeg

Yeah I only have the one clip, after that I decided that I was better off with 2" filters for future proofing reasons. That does look really neat though.

13 hours ago, CrashEd said:

Many thanks for posting that Susaron - valuable information. It seems to tick all the boxes for me as I intend to use it for visual work with my SCT in AZ mode and to begin imaging with a 130pds in EQ mode. 

Without sidetracking the original thread, how does it handle the 200pds and is it possible to image with it?

It is a pleasure to help.

In the Sky and Telescope article, which was published a year after I bought the AZEQ5, is said that for visual purpose, it will fit best to the AZ any SCT 8'' or even a 9.25'' as they both exert less moments during mount movement.

But, since the beginning I fitted a 200/1000PDS, and apart from the fact that I had to buy an extra 5kg counterweight, because with the 2x3.5kg pack I could not balance the tube, all the rest have been good news, for visual observing the mount handles very well the 200, and for planetary imaging I was able to use in June a x5 ES focal extender to make videos of Saturn without any problem. 

Even one night before packaging home I tried M13 without guiding, see herewith the result of 5 stacked frames of 30 seconds. The images are (unfortunately) out of focus, as it was a quick attempt sorry.

Cheers.

M13_apilado_3.jpg

Edited by Susaron
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Susaron said:

It is a pleasure to help.

In the Sky and Telescope article, which was published a year after I bought the AZEQ5, is said that for visual purpose, it will fit best to the AZ any SCT 8'' or even a 9.25'' as they both exert less moments during mount movement.

But, since the beginning I fitted a 200/1000PDS, and apart from the fact that I had to buy an extra 5kg counterweight, because with the 2x3.5kg pack I could not balance the tube, all the rest have been good news, for visual observing the mount handles very well the 200, and for planetary imaging I was able to use in June a x5 ES focal extender to make videos of Saturn without any problem. 

Even one night before packaging home I tried M13 without guiding, see herewith the result of 5 stacked frames of 30 seconds. The images are (unfortunately) out of focus, as it was a quick attempt sorry.

Cheers.

Thanks for the SCT information - really helpful. Could you PM me  acopy of the article or a link? Had a look for it earlier buy couldn't find it online. Maybe I'll need to order the back-issue?

Apologies for the minor 'star-hop' guys. Back on topic now, I promise :happy11: 

38 minutes ago, CrashEd said:

Thanks for the SCT information - really helpful. Could you PM me  acopy of the article or a link? Had a look for it earlier buy couldn't find it online. Maybe I'll need to order the back-issue?

Apologies for the minor 'star-hop' guys. Back on topic now, I promise :happy11: 

Some AZEQ5 info links

http://skywatcher.com/_english/05_service/08_blog_detail.php?sid=300

You can buy the digital issue here

http://www.shopatsky.com/sky-telescope-magazine-june-2016?source=igodigital

Cheers

On 9/9/2016 at 16:09, AlastairW said:

Info

7 x 600second Ha
10 x 600second OIII
10 x 600second darks

Skywatcher 130pds, HEQ5
QHY Img2pro

Bubble-Final-SGL.jpg

I love how it feels very 3Dish :)

• Like 2

My first M31 with the 130-PDS . Well, technically my second, but the first try was plagued with horrors such as dew, clouds, lack of flats, etc. etc.

This is my first image using Gradient Xterminator and I can't believe I have waited this long to try it. With the light pollution near me I have horrid orange gradients across all my images even when I use the LP filter and this has made quite a difference. I will certainly be buying it when the free trial runs out! Thanks for looking :)

Messier 31 (Andromeda Galaxy) with Messiers 32 and 110
2016-09-11, near Swindon, England

Gear:
Skywatcher 130-PDS with 0.9x coma corrector (585 mm, f/4.5)
Skywatcher NEQ6-Pro Synscan
Canon EOS 550D (unmodified) and Skywatcher 2" LP filter
ZWO ASI120-MC guide camera
Skywatcher Startravel 80 guide scope

Acquisition & Processing:
- AstrophotographyTools (APT) and PHD2 guiding with dithering
- 24 x 300s = total 120 minutes @ ISO 800
- 19 flats, 7 library darks, library bias
- Stacked in DeepSkyStacker and post-processed in Photoshop CC 2015 with Gradient Xterminator

M31 2nd Try Gradient Xterminator Reduce Bloat 100pct Crop.jpg

• Like 8

That's very nice. I can't get to image this favourite of mine due to trees and a 3 storey house that someone rudely decided to build a few years ago. Chainsaw and a couple of gallons of petrol might come in handy. ?

Lovely image and I also appreciate your sub information. Thanks for sharing.