Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Russe

Imaging with the 130pds

Recommended Posts

Added some luminance data with my mono. Got a coma corrector to fix those stars in the horizonatal edges for future captures.

 

M97_Dual_shot.thumb.png.d6a7c7253aaaa6b4f75f72660a988c07.png

full resolution: https://www.astrobin.com/1mbaoz/E/

Edited by mAnKiNd
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi 130 pds owners :) i have mini guide scope 30mm 132 FL with asi 120 mini mono camera. It will be enough for guiding this little beast or i should buy somenthing bigger? Enyone trying to guide 130pds with mini guide scope?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Heizel said:

Hi 130 pds owners :) i have mini guide scope 30mm 132 FL with asi 120 mini mono camera. It will be enough for guiding this little beast or i should buy somenthing bigger? Enyone trying to guide 130pds with mini guide scope?

I had that mini guide scope in the finder shoe with an asi290mm and it wasn't good enough for me. I was averaging >1.3"/pixel in phd2. Moved to an evoguide 50 bolted onto a dovetail on the mounting rings and now much happier with my guiding at <0.8"/pixel. My imaging scale is ~0.9"/pixel, so anything higher than that results in less than stellar frames. Mounting it securely also makes an equally weighted contribution to good guiding.

HTH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take a look at my setup (if you're not blinded by the lights!). Camera parallel to counterweight bar, evoguide locked down on top dovetail of mounting rings.

 

Another good option would be keep to your mini guide scope on the findershoe for Sharpcap polar alignment routines and get and off-axis guider.

 

Hth

IMG_20200122_193943.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Heizel said:

Hi 130 pds owners :) i have mini guide scope 30mm 132 FL with asi 120 mini mono camera. It will be enough for guiding this little beast or i should buy somenthing bigger? Enyone trying to guide 130pds with mini guide scope?

Worth having a try.

I use a 50mm x 183mm guide scope which is probably a bit more reliable and on a good day gets ~ 0.60" (someone I know with a  similar setup gets 0.40" grr...)

Edited by Stub Mandrel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mAnKiNd said:

Take a look at my setup (if you're not blinded by the lights!). Camera parallel to counterweight bar, evoguide locked down on top dovetail of mounting rings.

 

Another good option would be keep to your mini guide scope on the findershoe for Sharpcap polar alignment routines and get and off-axis guider.

 

Hth

IMG_20200122_193943.jpg

Well done for coping with those lights! I use a 30mm long  'dewshield' made from camping mat lined with black flock; I bet if you used something like that you might see improved contrast.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Well done for coping with those lights! I use a 30mm long  'dewshield' made from camping mat lined with black flock; I bet if you used something like that you might see improved contrast.

Thanks, I'll give that a try!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/02/2020 at 02:38, alacant said:

gs.thumb.jpg.90af40a003f7802e739dee13b9d14d76.jpg

 

Hi

2 alternatives shown here. An off axis guider with t7m or 60mm guide telescope, discontinued zwo120mm and 40mm dovetail clamp. Black shower cap optional.

HTH

IMG_20200301_200301.thumb.jpg.c5d18156a9c854eb99b9e97e463e690f.jpg

 

Thanks for sharing this tip! I got me thick black shower cap from ebay and I'd "like to believe" it's making a difference...my wife was giving me weird looks when I was opening up the parcel😂

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for reply, i order 50/190 guide scope and that is last puzzle in my setup. Waiting for clear skies! 

DSC_0110.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did some more lunar work on Monday night and attempted an HDR moon.  The diffraction and reflections weren't quite what I was expecting but actually I really like in the final image..  Still really pleased I chose the 130 PDS!

 

HDR Moon-Edit.jpg

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have newly acquired the 130PDS and would like to try some basic AP with my Nikon D3200. I've ordered a T-ring https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0002379UO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do I need anything else to connect the camera to the telescope?

Sorry if this is too much a newbie question. I thought the people on this thread would be best able to answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PatrickO said:

I have newly acquired the 130PDS and would like to try some basic AP with my Nikon D3200. I've ordered a T-ring https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0002379UO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do I need anything else to connect the camera to the telescope?

Sorry if this is too much a newbie question. I thought the people on this thread would be best able to answer.

Yes, you will need something that will screw onto the T-ring and then go into the 2" focusser tube (I think try googling "2 inch t-ring adapter).  For me that is my coma corrector.  I also have a 2-1.25" eyepiece adapter from which the 1.25" can unscrew and be replaced by the T-Ring to do the job.  I can't remember if that came with the PDS or my 200P though (though I think the latter) so it might be that one of the accessories you already own will do the job

Edited by OllieN
Clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OllieN said:

Yes, you will need something that will screw onto the T-ring and then go into the 2" focusser tube (I think try googling "2 inch t-ring adapter).  For me that is my coma corrector.  I also have a 2-1.25" eyepiece adapter from which the 1.25" can unscrew and be replaced by the T-Ring to do the job.  I can't remember if that came with the PDS or my 200P though (though I think the latter) so it might be that one of the accessories you already own will do the job

If I remove the eyepiece holder there is a screw thread. Will the adapter screw straight into that?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has used a Moonlite CR2 focuser with the 130 PDS ?

I have a new camera and filter wheel that is heavier than my old DSLR, this combined with my fickle SW autofocuser tensioning means that I am experiencing what I think is focuser ‘sag’. I certainly have tilt that seems gravitational and when I put a laser collimator in the focuser tube I can wobble it so that the red dot moves around the primary mirror donut.

I’m getting nowhere trying to improve this so I wondered if investing in a premium focuser might be the answer ? I’ve read that Moonlite focusers are good but are they really solid ? Solid enough to hold a large imaging train without unwanted sag ?

These focusers cost a lot of money and I’d have to save up for quite a while to get one, but I don’t mind doing that if it going to help solve my problem.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Spaced Out said:

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has used a Moonlite CR2 focuser with the 130 PDS ?

I have a new camera and filter wheel that is heavier than my old DSLR, this combined with my fickle SW autofocuser tensioning means that I am experiencing what I think is focuser ‘sag’. I certainly have tilt that seems gravitational and when I put a laser collimator in the focuser tube I can wobble it so that the red dot moves around the primary mirror donut.

I’m getting nowhere trying to improve this so I wondered if investing in a premium focuser might be the answer ? I’ve read that Moonlite focusers are good but are they really solid ? Solid enough to hold a large imaging train without unwanted sag ?

These focusers cost a lot of money and I’d have to save up for quite a while to get one, but I don’t mind doing that if it going to help solve my problem.     

Difficult choice I got to the point when I was thinking of either getting a moon light focuser or moving onto a refractor, in the end I decided it was a false economy to try putting a £300 focuser onto a £160 scope and saved for the refactor instead. The original focuser is fine for a DSLR or a OSC cooled camera, but by the time its having to hold a dedicated mono camera and a 8 position filter wheel it just cant hack it. The main issue is that you colimate with the light weight colimation tool in it and then the whole thing moves when you put the camera system on and hey presto your colimation is wrong.

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Adam J said:

The main issue is that you colimate with the light weight colimation tool in it and then the whole thing moves when you put the camera system on and hey presto your colimation is wrong.

If that camera system allows for fast enough downloads, you may be able to collimate on a star with it. Or at least check collimation on a star (star test). If you then point to another star and collimation has shifted, you know it is the focuser that is to blame. Putting a £300 focuser on a £160 telescope may seem overkill, but you end up with a £460 imaging system that still may be good value for its money. That new focuser doesn't have to cost £300 either. I have the low profile SW Crayford focuser on my MN190, and it holds my ASI + efw + oag well enough. I doubt it costs as much as a Moonlite.

Btw, you should also check the primary mirror support, to make sure that doesn't move. Another possible source of shifting collimation 

Just my €0.02.

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wimvb said:

If that camera system allows for fast enough downloads, you may be able to collimate on a star with it. Or at least check collimation on a star (star test). If you then point to another star and collimation has shifted, you know it is the focuser that is to blame. Putting a £300 focuser on a £160 telescope may seem overkill, but you end up with a £460 imaging system that still may be good value for its money. That new focuser doesn't have to cost £300 either. I have the low profile SW Crayford focuser on my MN190, and it holds my ASI + efw + oag well enough. I doubt it costs as much as a Moonlite.

Btw, you should also check the primary mirror support, to make sure that doesn't move. Another possible source of shifting collimation 

Just my €0.02.

The problem is that the 130PDS has a very low tube diameter and so virtually nothing fits it except for the moonlight as they made a special kit to allow it to be mounted. Most focusers available only fit tubes down to 6 inch Newtonian size. In so far as I have been able to find its the moonlight or nothing on the 130PDS. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi

How about keeping the existing base plate?

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_fnc2.htm

Cheers

Not sure that will work with the stock 130pds focuser. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Not sure that will work

Ok, so you also need the adapter ring. Ridiculously priced at $44 but still a lot cheaper than the moonlight.

Cheers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my firts test  lights with 130pds. Picture are not perfect, stars not super round and there is a coma at the edges but im very happy :). 33 min exposure taken from my red/white zone balcony-  double cluster in perseus 

gromada podwójna w perseuszu.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Adam J said:

Difficult choice I got to the point when I was thinking of either getting a moon light focuser or moving onto a refractor, in the end I decided it was a false economy to try putting a £300 focuser onto a £160 scope and saved for the refactor instead. The original focuser is fine for a DSLR or a OSC cooled camera, but by the time its having to hold a dedicated mono camera and a 8 position filter wheel it just cant hack it. The main issue is that you colimate with the light weight colimation tool in it and then the whole thing moves when you put the camera system on and hey presto your colimation is wrong.

Thanks for this. I think I am committed (= attached !) to the 130 PDS for now, been using it with DSLRs and learning the ropes, I’ve really enjoyed it so far. I’m just disappointed I’ve spent a big wedge on a camera upgrade only to discover the stock focuser doesn’t like the weight and my images show sag/tilt. I am using an ASI 1600 + EFW + OAG + Baader MPCC + various spacers, it all weighs 1.28 kg !

I am happy save up and buy a Moonlite if it is the right tool for eliminating this sag/tilt issue. I’d love someone to come on her and say yes I had a similar problem and yes the Moonlite solved it ! That would give me some confidence that I am thinking along the right lines. 🤔 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/03/2020 at 10:59, wimvb said:

Thank you. This looks interesting, certainly worth considering I reckon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all

Has anyone here fitted a Baader Steeltrack/Diamond Steeltrack or a TS Optics Monorail focuser to their 130 PDS ? If so, how was it to fit and how does it perform ?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By ScouseSpaceCadet
      For sale - A well looked after immaculate condition Sky-Watcher Startravel 120 ota including tube rings/dovetail, 2" Sky-Watcher dielectric diagonal and 2" Baader Semi-Apo filter - £290. 
      There are the usual pock marks on the dovetail bar and a couple of scratches on the diagonal nosepiece caused by retention screws. The ota objective is dust free. Only selling due to a purchase of a 150mm  newtonian, (the viewing position doesn't kick off my bad back) and I don't have storage space for three telescopes.
      Brand new these items would cost in the region of £440.
      I will consider splitting the items only if the package doesn't sell within a reasonable time.
      Collection only from Liverpool. Payment via Paypal (buyer pays fees) or cash on collection.
      Social distancing rules required.
      PM if interested. Thanks for looking.



      + 2" to 1.25" draw tube adapter and end cap. There's also a 2" end cap no shown in the pics above.

    • By Crignog
      Hi! I'm very new to astronomy and have ordered a SkyWatcher StarQuest 130p as my first telescope, which arrives soon. As I understand it the tripod is the biggest weak link in the setup. Is it possible for me to buy a replacement, better tripod to improve my viewing experience overall?
       
      Apart from the tripod what would you recommend upgrading?
       
      Thanks!
    • By Gevorg
      Hello!
      I am trying to setup the Skywatcher MC 102/1300 SkyMax BD AZ-S GoTo telescope+mount.
      What I did:
      Start from parking mode. The telescope is aligned to north. Turned it on and aligned with 2 stars. During the alignment the tracking is turning on all the time and moving the telescope position. Then when I try to go to some star the north/south motion never ends. While the East/West motion stops at right location. This is really wild to me. Can someone help with understanding what is the problem ?
       
      Thanks,
      Gevorg.
    • By c4llum83
      Found various threads on here and other forums about flocking dobsonians/newtonians but couldn't find specific images of disassembly of the very popular SkyWatcher Heritage 130p flextube and flocking of the OTA.
      So having ordered some DC-Fix black velour sticky back material (can be got from various places including FLO) I thought i'd share some photos of the process from start to finish as it may help someone else in the future... 
      Images below with notes... 
      1. Focuser and shield flocking

      This was the easy bit. A strip stuck inside the focuser, and just unscrew the shield, draw round it, cut the material and align and smooth down. In the last image above you can already see the significant improvement on reducing reflections comparing the flocked shield to the unflocked tube... 

      Notice my version of Bob's Knobs on the secondary mirror which are just black steel M4 25mm knurled thumbscrews bought off ebay for about £7 - along with the thumbscrews already on the 130P primary mirror this makes any fine collimation easy and completely tool free! 
      For full stealth mode I've also painted the edge and rear of the secondary mirror, and any exposed screw heads with blackboard paint to reduce reflections. 
       
      2. OTA disassembly and tube before

      Note the cutout in the lower primary housing and the top ring. This aligns with the ridge of the tube seam, and means there is only one way to reassemble the telescope tube and mirror and one place for the handful of screws (4 at the bottom, 3 at the top). You'll also need an allen key to remove the 3 bolts for the dovetail mount. Simple! 
      Now you're ready to Flock 'N' Roll! 👍🏻

       
      3. Flocking the tube

      You'll need approx. 50cmx29cm of the material to do the tube in one go, starting along the seam. As others have described just take your time here, peel off about an inch of the backing and get the edge aligned with the tube seam stick down firmly and smooth out any air bubbles. 
      Then slowly keep peeling more backing (rip and remove if the excess gets in the way) and smooth down as you go, turning the tube and affixing the velour material. 
       
      4. Finished flocking and close up during application so you can see contrast/reflection comparison of before and after.



       
      All in all only took around an hour so not a hard job as long as you prepare and concentrate! I ordered one sheet of 45cm x 1m material which was plenty, however if your not as confident you'll get it right first time then order 2m so you have more to spare if you need to start again. 
      Looks great, so as always I now just need clear skies to go play and see the difference it makes! 
    • By c4llum83
      Was looking for a simple and sturdy 3-legged stand or table to raise the height slightly of the Heritage 130p when viewing on the lawn away from my garden table and so my 7yr old daughter can stand and observe easily. 
      Suddenly came across this thread on Reddit which seemed to have the perfect solution from our Swedish friends at Ikea... https://www.reddit.com/r/telescopes/comments/doi3n5/skywatcher_heritage_130_or_awb_onesky_ikea_kyrre/ (see pictures below) and also discovered some more customisation ideas for the same stool in this thread from across the pond...https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/463109-onesky-newtonian-astronomers-without-borders/?p=9734431
      The UK Ikea store sells the stool in plain solid birch (£10) or stained black/blue (£12) and delivery is just £3.95...have a black one on order (wont arrive until 5 June though) and will report back when I, have it... https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/kyrre-stool-black-70434976/
      Anyone else used one or made something similar for this fab little scope?
       


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.