Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Russe

Imaging with the 130pds

On 19/11/2019 at 02:25, dyfiastro said:

3D printed a rear cap

Hi. Meanwhile, at the budget end of the range, a black shower cap. 3 for €1.

18 hours ago, spillage said:

any images

Elegance defined!

s5.thumb.jpg.ade7e312318faa009448f36255e5983e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I managed a couple of hours on M45 the other night while very clear. Took the opportunity to do some visual with my 200p dob. Luckily the below freezing temperature inhibited dewing on the 130's secondary.

M45_FinA15.jpg

Edited by Shaun_Astro
  • Like 3

Does anyone store their 130PDS in a padded bag? If so what do you use? I've got a geoptik one for my 200PDS, need something similar but a bit cheaper! :) Cheers.

2 hours ago, bendiddley said:

Does anyone store their 130PDS in a padded bag? If so what do you use? I've got a geoptik one for my 200PDS, need something similar but a bit cheaper! :) Cheers.

I hang mine off a hook on the roof of my workshop.

My scope finally arrived. But there is something strange- a piece of cork washer under the mirror. Is that normal? I send back scope to the seller...

DSC_0002.JPG

cork is commonly used as a cushion for the mirror. if you look carefully there will be at least 3 cork pads. The one you can see might be a little out of position but the gap between the mirror bottom and the white aluminium cell should be even all round if they are in place.

search "cork in mirror cell" if you need more reassurance

If you want to see what a mirror cell looks like when the mirror is removed there is a 8 inch cell for sale on Ebay with pictures showing the three cork pads next to the collimation screws. Ebay number

Edited by Tomatobro
more info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/12/2019 at 08:50, alacant said:

Hi. Meanwhile, at the budget end of the range, a black shower cap. 3 for €1.

Elegance defined!

s5.thumb.jpg.ade7e312318faa009448f36255e5983e.jpg

Hi

Does the black shower cap work OK then ? Could be just what I am looking for !

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Spaced Out said:

shower cap work OK

Hi. yes. Note, there's an elastic band to hold it in place.

These design types seem to have made the diameter of the cap stretch to the size of an average human head, with little regard for preventing light entering the mirror cell of a 130pds. Ridiculous.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 02/12/2019 at 13:46, alacant said:

A dreamy rosette, but unfortunately running out of frame. The nebula extends further than suggested by kstars. Or -far more likely- I entered the focal length incorrectly in the first place. Maybe a two frame mosaic?

Comments for improvement always appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

829116262_1-roseta(copy).thumb.jpg.8e4df3a8debc2fadce8e7b19be203e14.jpg

It's a wonderful render of the rosette and the star colour is good. 

• Like 3

On 03/12/2019 at 08:50, alacant said:

at the budget end

I think I beat this with a bin bag and rubber band 😃

IMG_20190906_194128~2.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, vernmid said:

I think I beat this with a bin bag and rubber band 😃

IMG_20190906_194128~2.jpg

What dovetail bar length is that?

4 minutes ago, vernmid said:

bin bag and rubber band

I'll reluctantly give you the bin bag. However your elastic band  looks positively professional. 

Call it quits?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, matt_baker said:

What dovetail bar length is that

Just the standard one that came with the scope.

2 hours ago, alacant said:

Call it quits?

Fair enough 😃

7 minutes ago, vernmid said:

Fair enough 😃

Sorry should've clarified, I meant for the guide scope

4 minutes ago, matt_baker said:
13 minutes ago, vernmid said:

Fair enough 😃

Sorry should've clarified, I meant for the guide scope

At a guess, and after carefully studying the photo for several seconds, I'd guess it's the same length as the standard one that came with the scope 🙂

• Haha 1

What guide scope will be better- 50/190 or 60/240? My camera is asi120mm mini (3.75 pixel size).

Edited by Heizel

2 hours ago, Heizel said:

What guide scope will be better- 50/190 or 60/240? My camera is asi120mm mini (3.75 pixel size).

The smaller one will be fine, I use a 50/183 with a 120MC and guide to ~0.6" when the sky is nice and clear.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Heizel said:

Last question- can i put this tube to celestron avx? Will handle it for ap well?

Yes, it's possible.

With careful balance, I've done 600s guided subs with that combination and a MILC/DSLR.

YMMV

9 hours ago, 8472 said:

Yes, it's possible.

With careful balance, I've done 600s guided subs with that combination and a MILC/DSLR.

YMMV

600 sek i think its enough lol  :) thanks

Edited by Heizel
  • Like 1

M45 - The Pleiades

50*180s 2.5 Hours Intergration

Nikon D5300, 130PDS, HEQ5 Pro

Processed in Pixinsight

247659398_M45v4.thumb.jpg.9df829f014d9735df7b29d72588c1778.jpg

Edited by matt_baker
  • Like 9

Posted this elsewhere, but after some serious rework I'm happy to add this to the thread, despite a few disasters on data collection. Binned 50%, Ha Sii Oiii, ASI1600 mono.

542423010_RosetteFalseColourbinned.thumb.png.d51d35855133aa1e8e12edf491f97c76.png

• Like 6

I can't believe that this thread is still going strong after 111 pages of discussion and pictures.

Looking to get back into the astrophotography, anybody got any tips for keeping bright stars from blowing out? Especially in areas such as the Horse Head Nebula.

40 minutes ago, Galen Gilmore said:

I can't believe that this thread is still going strong after 111 pages of discussion and pictures.

Looking to get back into the astrophotography, anybody got any tips for keeping bright stars from blowing out? Especially in areas such as the Horse Head Nebula.

Welcome home Galen!

I've found that 99% of the time its really a case of being careful with stretches. Use curves not gamma and keep the upper part of the curve from levelling off.

image.png.491f57f8a1e6d331138dce4e294c104f.png

That way I've always managed to keep Alnitak separate from its companion, even with 5 minute exposures.

Of course it's easy with a Ha filter...

727300379_HOrsehead2yearsha.thumb.png.4848ed96c98b36831530501d51960a3f.png

Horsey Ha  faint stuff.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1