Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar.thumb.jpg.ef4882eb5fb3610f8a68e5e6913de0e3.jpg

Russe

Imaging with the 130pds

alacant    1,109

700d. Annoying star artefacts; uneven star halos, two on brighter stars... I think it's the cheepo 2 element coma corrector. Planning to follow it up to the meridian tonight. If anyone could confirm, otherwise or WHY, that would be great. Cheers and clear skies.

pl.thumb.jpg.1aa000acf04ed75bb06413356ecba6d5.jpg

• Like 3

Susaron    96
19 hours ago, Galen Gilmore said:

Yea I agree. I was doing 2 minute exposures before, but I was getting a horrible gradient. I though shorter subs would get rid of it or reduce it, but it didn't. Would a LP filter help reduce these gradients?

Galen go for an IDAS LPS D1, you won´t regret, it is an excellent LPS filter, take a look to my pictures taken last month with first quarter moon.

Moreover today I have seen excellent pictures taken with the Optolong UHC filter from the Double cluster in the Spanish forum www.astronomo.org, and it seems to be another and cheapest option as it does not change the colors of the stars.

Cheers.

Galen Gilmore    458
12 minutes ago, Susaron said:

Galen go for an IDAS LPS D1, you won´t regret, it is an excellent LPS filter, take a look to my pictures taken last month with first quarter moon.

Moreover today I have seen excellent pictures taken with the Optolong UHC filter from the Double cluster in the Spanish forum www.astronomo.org, and it seems to be another and cheapest option as it does not change the colors of the stars.

Cheers.

A bit expensive, I was thinking about buying the Orion skyglow astophotography filter. It is a little bit cheaper then the IDAS, and it seems to be recommended a lot on the cloudy nights forum.

alacant    1,109
17 minutes ago, Susaron said:

Optolong UHC filter

Hi. I've an Optolong clip CLS for my 700d which I used to take this. It needed longer exposures, but the detail was better. I think the UHC is narrower still. HTH.

Edited by alacant

Susaron    96

Yes the Optolong are Chinese less expensive "copies" than the Astronomiks. if you want to take a look to the transmission curves, Carlos Tapia a Spanish physicist student who works in the faculty laboratory, has characterized every filter he can find or borrowed. Take a look to his page and the comparison among the Optolongs and the Astronomiks.

http://www.carlostapia.es/curvas_filtros/Comparison_UHC.html

Needless to say I own the UHC/OIII/CLS and an incoming Halpha from Optolong, I am actually very happy with them, the vision of the Veil Nebula with the OIII is simply astonishing

Edited by Susaron
  • Like 1

Galen Gilmore    458

Ok thanks everybody for the info. I realize that LP filters are not magic, and that they actually cut out some detail in galaxies and reflection nebulae. But hopefully whichever filter I choose to buy, it will help my images. :happy7:

tony8690    35

First attempt of M45 from my back garden last night since i got my mount back from repairs!

3 photos stacked and edited in Photo Shop, 100 second exposures, ISO 1600 

Got it more focused here than my last attempt. 

T

M45 Processed v1 - small.jpg

• Like 4

al-alami    169

My first try at the Owl Cluster (didn't even know about it actually). 

L 10 X 128s

RGB 5 x 128s for each

It was a quick grab at the end of the night and the weather was getting bad, I hope to revisit it because its such a pretty target. :) 

Image05_ABE_final2.jpg

• Like 3

Jon Sales    34

Been watching this thread for a long time. 

I have the Star Adventurer mount for widefield with my EOS760D and lenses. 

Now looking at a telescope again for visual and AP. 

Is the 130pds on the EQ5 PRO worth the money or should I go for the 150?

Galen Gilmore    458
5 hours ago, Jon Sales said:

For me is was worth it. The 130pds is fantastic, and is the perfect weight for an EQ5. A 150pds might be a bit too much for an EQ5 though.

Just make sure that you atleast buy the enhanced dual axis motors for the EQ5, that way you can start autoguiding when you need to.

al-alami    169

I love the double cluster ... I  have no idea why :)

10 X 128sec each for RGB

Image07_ABE.jpg

• Like 4

Susaron    96
On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:27, al-alami said:

My first try at the Owl Cluster (didn't even know about it actually). 

L 10 X 128s

RGB 5 x 128s for each

It was a quick grab at the end of the night and the weather was getting bad, I hope to revisit it because its such a pretty target. :) 

Image05_ABE_final2.jpg

On your left corner you have the NGC436 cluster as well, this little scope allows these wide fields.

• Like 2

Susaron    96
22 hours ago, Jon Sales said:

I do use the 130PDS for visual duties as well, it is a perfect grab and go telescope for your holidays. I use an AZ4 mount along with the AZEQ5 pier tripod, all the pack fits in a sports bag.

Cheers.

Stub Mandrel    5,625
On 19/11/2017 at 11:57, Jon Sales said:

There's a rumour someone, somewhere once regretted buying a 130P-DS but Snopes haven't been able to verify it.

Fine on an EQ5, I use mine on an EQ3 (with EQ5 tripod).

al-alami    169
2 hours ago, Susaron said:

On your left corner you have the NGC436 cluster as well, this little scope allows these wide fields.

Thank you for that info :D

The more I use this scope, the more I love it! :D