Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging with the 130pds

Russe

3 hours ago, Adam J said:

Anyone know if a badder click lock will allow you to reach focus on a 130PDS? It moves the camera out slightly by the looks of it.....

Unfortunately not, it will move the camera out way too far. Its better used for EPs to be honest.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

This thread is just jam packed with amazing images! Thanks everyone for posting!

@dyfiastro that’s a super widefield of the bubble neb and friends!

Yes thanks very much.

Full designations are as follows

59fce330407d3_bubble1anon.thumb.jpg.664f59bd5610815efb2341ee893287e3.jpg

Edited by dyfiastro
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, spillage said:

@sagramore sorry might be me...just brought some new kit. It has allowed me to lag my 130 so fingers crossed I get to try it all out.

You know, I'm not sure whether insulation on a telescope is the way forward. Surely all that does is lengthen the cool down process?

If you get a bit of ice on it after a long winter session, I don't see that as a bad thing. If anything, the colder it gets - the better it performs.... just don't try touching it with bare hands or licking it...lol :) 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

just don't try touching it with bare hands or licking it...lol :)

Haha, I used to work in a -24 warehouse. Lost count the amount of times I put my pencil in my mouth and got it stuck. Or ran in without my cold gear to do a stock count only to find my biro had frozen

I keep my scope outside so do not really need any cool down time and it does look quite cool in its silver jacket..

• Haha 2

On 05/11/2017 at 00:20, Uranium235 said:

Just revisiting some old 130pds data with 2017 processing methods, hard to believe just 80min of Ha went into this :)

Rosette_reproc.thumb.jpg.6579ee5e3ba8e8327077551fe744f79b.jpg

Hello 

Can I ask did you use oxygen for the blue as well? Great picture I want to revisit it because I tried without guiding and hope to get a better result. 

IMG_4162.thumb.jpg.a15ae353fb9b9b5260247734a68916f3.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

Hello 

Can I ask did you use oxygen for the blue as well? Great picture I want to revisit it because I tried without guiding and hope to get a better result. 

Yes, I used OIII for that image (same amount, 80min). But the blue is derived from the cannistra bilcolour process as detailed here:

http://www.starrywonders.com/bicolortechniquenew.html

It takes a bit of practice, and usually needs some selective colour adjusment in Ps to shift magenta to blue. Also, it helps if you remove all of the stars from the colour layer before blending with Ha luminance in order to prevent blue halos.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

Still good!  The next time check your focus a little more. You have double defraction spikes which is usually just being slightly off focus.  

All the best 

Yea I realize that I was off focus. I was imaging M31 before I started with M45, and the focus was spot on for m31. I think that focus slipped before I started imaging M45.

18 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Go for the longer exposures Galen, 5-minute exposures turned out OK for me on the Pleiades last night:

Pleiades.png

Yea I agree. I was doing 2 minute exposures before, but I was getting a horrible gradient. I though shorter subs would get rid of it or reduce it, but it didn't. Would a LP filter help reduce these gradients?

35 minutes ago, Galen Gilmore said:

Yea I agree. I was doing 2 minute exposures before, but I was getting a horrible gradient. I though shorter subs would get rid of it or reduce it, but it didn't. Would a LP filter help reduce these gradients?

Possibly, I use a cheap (£10) moon+skyglow filter and it helps a lot.

I still had a big yellow tint on the top edge, which I think was caused by my workshop lights

Evening everyone

I managed to grab what could have been my best run of the year last night.
After a minor equipment issue (the arduino board running my focuser died) I managed to get a good few hours of imaging done.

M33 - 12x300s @ ISO800

m33.thumb.jpg.5b12d731d123fa35f08d47a14fe7cda1.jpg

Iris Nebula - 15x300s @ ISO800

Iris.thumb.jpg.bcd6677a7c15147b5eee804121acb349.jpg

Elephants Trunk Nebula - 25x30s @ ISO800

elephant.thumb.jpg.ec562980836068ecf0ae49182cb6fb17.jpg

These are far from perfect and I will be reprocessing these once I finally save enough for PI, I also intend to add more data to these as well

• Like 5