Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging with the 130pds

Russe

IC1396 en cefeo. I tried this before without a filter but got a flat nebula which was hard to process. This is an experiment with a CLS; easier and there's more detail. Any comments most welcome, especially from anyone who has used CLS with the 130. Clear skies and thanks for looking.

** oh, and the streak. A bit of a mystery as it doesn't appear on any of the light frames. There's always something....

1396-2.thumb.jpg.a54e74fc8cfee5af87527fb80e2884e5.jpg

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, alacant said:

IC1396 en cefeo. I tried this before without a filter but got a flat nebula which was hard to process. This is an experiment with a CLS; easier and there's more detail. Any comments most welcome, especially from anyone who has used CLS with the 130. Clear skies and thanks for looking.

** oh, and the streak. A bit of a mystery as it doesn't appear on any of the light frames. There's always something....

Lovely! What are the exposure and ISO times? I'm also assuming a modded camera?

1 hour ago, alacant said:

Not a CLS, but I tried once with an UHC filter (Optolong) and my unmodded camera 70D, using M27 as target. Even with 60s subs I was able to get a good signal under light polluted skies.

M27_cut.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alacant said:

Fabulous image. Impressive and just what I need to see when my mojo is sooooooo low. Thanks for posting.?

• Thanks 1

NGC 281 Pacman Nebula

9x300 lights, 30 flats, no darks

Processed in PI, rotated and cropped.

I had 62 lights but lost most of them to dew. I decided to leave it going while I went back to bed, big mistake, turns out it dewed up not long after. A longer dew shield is definitely required.

NGC-281.thumb.jpg.d3e7a86e3ede275240bd70daf75ffd92.jpg

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, richyrich_one said:

NGC 281 Pacman Nebula

9x300 lights, 30 flats, no darks

Processed in PI, rotated and cropped.

I had 62 lights but lost most of them to dew. I decided to leave it going while I went back to bed, big mistake, turns out it dewed up not long after. A longer dew shield is definitely required.

NGC-281.thumb.jpg.d3e7a86e3ede275240bd70daf75ffd92.jpg

Shame about the dew, but a fabulous image nonetheless. I especially like the overall color of the image.

• Thanks 1

Here is my First EVER attempt of Pleiades, only 1 sub of 1 min 30 seconds ISO 100 (forgot to up it in my excitement)

I have 8 subs but cant figure out how to use DSS so this is only one edited in Photo Shop.

Used 130PDS Nikon D5300 unmodified and EQ3 mount with SynScan.

T

M45-2.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tony8690 said:

Here is my First EVER attempt of Pleiades, only 1 sub of 1 min 30 seconds ISO 100 (forgot to up it in my excitement)

I have 8 subs but cant figure out how to use DSS so this is only one edited in Photo Shop.

Used 130PDS Nikon D5300 unmodified and EQ3 mount with SynScan.

T

M45-2.jpg

Good first image.

check out this video: Deep Sky Stacker and photoshop tutorial

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, rotatux said:

I wish I had my first at it that good :)

Though that's strange all your stars are already burnt at such low ISO, did you use RAW or a cam-produced JPEG ?

What's burnt star?

Could just be from how I edited it in PS, got a lot of learning to Do! 

Thanks

T

3 minutes ago, tony8690 said:

What's burnt star?

Could just be from how I edited it in PS, got a lot of learning to Do! 

Thanks

T

Burnt stars are just stars that are overexposed so they don't quite look natural. 

It could be from your processing as it appears you did a pretty aggressive curve stretch.

Post your unprocessed photo, and some of us might see if the burnt stars are just a case of the processing.

I've started ordering the bits required for a 130pds dual shooter, starting off with the mountings... a new vixen saddle, and some M5 socket head screws and nuts. Next up will be an ultra-short t-ring adaptor, then finally the telescope itself. Cant get it all straight away, but it should be ready sometime in December (with luck).

I'll be running the DSLR (for RGB or OIII) via the SWCC for the extra boost in photographic speed, and the CCD via the MPCC MkIII for (luminance or Ha).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Galen Gilmore said:

Burnt stars are just stars that are overexposed so they don't quite look natural. 

It could be from your processing as it appears you did a pretty aggressive curve stretch.

Post your unprocessed photo, and some of us might see if the burnt stars are just a case of the processing.

here is the RAW File for this photo.

Thanks,

T

DSC_0988.NEF

Edit -

2nd attempt of processing

M45 - 2nd edit.jpg

Edited by tony8690

21 hours ago, tony8690 said:

Could just be from how I edited it in PS

Hi. I don't think the focus or exposure is bad, but the stars are 'x' shaped or perhaps composed of 5 separate exposed dots. Solid ground, wind, walking around the tripod legs during the exposure... Loadsa stuff to check. It may just be the one light frame and I'd put good money on a stack with all the frames you took would look fine. HTH.

b.JPG

Edited by alacant

You definitively have some valuable data in that sub :) : Some nebulosity and nice colors.

DSC_0988_5.thumb.jpg.8a0a9f25d766242c51ddb6f3a6e9dcae.jpg

Your sub is not that much overexposed, I would say it's reasonnable, so that was your stretching. You will do better focus / tracking next time, learning one step after the other (live view focus, exposure settings, stacking, etc.).

2 hours ago, Galen Gilmore said:

That second attempt at processing looks very good! Just imagine if you stacked all eight of the frames!

Also, did your camera produce that .NEF file? or did you convert it?

My Camera creates the .NEF file because I'm shooting in RAW, it's meant to be clear here around 11pm so I will hopefully give it another go! 

I would love to get some form of andromeda photo but my tracking seems a bit off sometimes so I'm never sure if I'm actually pointing at it, Any advice on eq3 synscan tracking? 

Thanks,

T

36 minutes ago, tony8690 said:

My Camera creates the .NEF file because I'm shooting in RAW, it's meant to be clear here around 11pm so I will hopefully give it another go! 

I would love to get some form of andromeda photo but my tracking seems a bit off sometimes so I'm never sure if I'm actually pointing at it, Any advice on eq3 synscan tracking? 

Thanks,

T

Sure, get as many frames as possible. Get dark frames as well.

I don't have the EQ3 but I have the EQ5. All you can really do about tracking is to get as accurate polar alignment as possible, and then let the motors do their thing. Fixing mistakes in the tracking is what guiding is for. If you are not sure if you are pointing at it then just do a quick 10-15 second exposure to make sure it's in frame. Bright objects like the Andromeda galaxy are bright enough that you can see it with short exposures. If you are shooting something dimmer then I assume that you could recognize star patterns to frame up your object? Have not yet imaged anything that dim yet though, so I wouldn't know.

Good luck tonight, excited to see how it comes out!

18 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

I've started ordering the bits required for a 130pds dual shooter, starting off with the mountings... a new vixen saddle, and some M5 socket head screws and nuts. Next up will be an ultra-short t-ring adaptor, then finally the telescope itself. Cant get it all straight away, but it should be ready sometime in December (with luck).

I'll be running the DSLR (for RGB or OIII) via the SWCC for the extra boost in photographic speed, and the CCD via the MPCC MkIII for (luminance or Ha).

This can be considered an abbuse. A 130PDS dual binocular astrophotograph destroyer. You can call it HMS 130. :-)

I have plans to make the same dual pair with a Zenithstar 61 for the DLSR to increase even more the field.

Edited by Susaron
  • Haha 2

I've tried getting my 130 to play nicely with the Star71, but it usually turns our to be a pain to process (star sizes).  

The plan is that if I use identical focal lengths, and fairly similar pixel sizes it should (in theory) be a better match, and hence easier to process the data.