SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Imaging with the 130pds

Russe

12 hours ago, spillage said:

Sorry it is a bit late but though I would post photos showing the focus tube improvement/upgrade to increase photon collection. I hope it helps.

Cheers

Spill

focus1.jpg

focus2.jpg

Hmmm, don't the 2 leftovers add some unwanted diffraction?

10 hours ago, Adam J said:

Thought i would share this here too. Slight tweak from version in the imaging section. 30x300, iso800, 550D, 130pds.

Autosave008_DBE_ps_crop_porcess_DBE_3 (2) blend with high resolution 4.jpg

Looks nice. It seems to me that you clipped the background. You might have some details hidden there and also the transition from the galaxy to the background would look smoother.

1 hour ago, moise212 said:

Hmmm, don't the 2 leftovers add some unwanted diffraction?

No not at as this would have been present in a stock unit and you are just clearing a path for the light and not actually moving parts. It also allows for you to use the scope for visual.

Edited by spillage
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, spillage said:

It also allows for you to use the scope for visual.

I cut off the whole of the end of the cylinder.  The disadvantage with my method is that I've now only got around 15mm of focus left before the end of the draw tube disengages with the roller mechanism. I suppose if I did ever want to look through it, I'd have to use a 2" (variable?) extension tube.

7 hours ago, alacant said:

I cut off the whole of the end of the cylinder.  The disadvantage with my method is that I've now only got around 15mm of focus left before the end of the draw tube disengages with the roller mechanism. I suppose if I did ever want to look through it, I'd have to use a 2" (variable?) extension tube.

I stuck a bit of PCB on the tube to stop it winding right out.

13 hours ago, moise212 said:

Looks nice. It seems to me that you clipped the background. You might have some details hidden there and also the transition from the galaxy to the background would look smoother.

It might have been my display. It looks brighter on my laptop.

For a total of ~5h and a half of Ha and 25 minutes each RGB channel, the Ha layer, the RGB and the RGB + Ha. Unfortunately, when I started shooting B, the seeing/tracking/something went worse so the stars seem bloated in B, like an uncorrected refractor, but also slightly elongated.

Ha: 23 mins in 60s subs + 5h and 12 mins in 180s subs @300 gain.
RGB: 60s subs @139 gain.

Sleep time now.

NGC7635-F585-2017-06-15-Ha-p01.jpg

NGC7635-F585-2017-06-15-RGB_p01.jpg

NGC7635-F585-2017-06-15-RGB-Ha_p01.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, wimvb said:

Well deserved. That's a very nice bubble & cluster.

Thanks, Wim!

The RGB were binned 2x2 just to have a quick coloured image. I have to shoot them also at full resolution next time, when the moon won't lit the sky and if the seeing is good enough. But first the B is mandatory. Then O3.

I had 16 minutes of O3 as well, but I did not include them in the images above. They're in the first one below.

And the second one is the 25mins each RGB and 23mins of Ha and the 16mins of O3. This means less than 2 hours in total. Just to see what's visible in 2 hours under the LP.

NGC7635-F585-2017-06-15-RGB-HaO3_p03.jpg

NGC7635-F585-2017-06-15-RGB-HaO3short_p03.jpg

• Like 4

Dear all

Yesterday night I was able to guide properly, here 15 subs of 4 min of M16 taken with the QHY168C (Gain 10, Offset 4, Temp = 10ºC), from Brihuega, 80km from Madrid. Only DSS and leves touched with Fitswork (not really processed to be honest)

M16_15tomas_Curvas_4.jpg

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Susaron said:

Dear all

Yesterday night I was able to guide properly, here 15 subs of 4 min of M16 taken with the QHY168C (Gain 10, Offset 4, Temp = 10ºC), from Brihuega, 80km from Madrid. Only DSS and leves touched with Fitswork (not really processed to be honest)

M16_15tomas_Curvas_4.jpg

Nice! Guiding seems spot on. I wish I could see this from my balcony.

Clear skies!

• Like 2

Attempted to increase the background to make it appear less clipped but i really think that this is all that the data has to give now. Sometimes converting to jpg had reduce the image depth and make it appear clipped when its not in the 16 bit image. At the end of the day I am working with a DSLR from a yellow zone so I am not displeased with this result.

Autosave008_DBE_ps_crop_porcess_DBE_18062017.jpg

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 3

Hi guys,

Having spent a long time getting my PA and guiding to a very decent level, I am now back to doing the fun stuff! But two questions if I may please.  Target last night was M3 in RGB but looking at my subs I have noticed two issues:

1/ The stars in the R image are "bigger" than B and G.  (And G is bigger than B).  Naturally that leaves red halos when I combine the images. Is this simply a focus issue with the filters not being exactly parfocal?

2/ I appear to be "cutting off" some of the star! (See photo zoomed in). Is this a drawtube issue or a pinched mirror?

Many thanks for any thoughts!

Ig

(150PDS with Atik 460EX)

Cut star.PNG

Thanks! I'm sure the drawtube wasn't a problem when I was succesfully imaging last year (will need to go back and check my images!) so could it therefore be a misalignment of the mirrors causing the drawtube to get in the way? i.e. need to do a full recollimation?)  DOn't want to unnecessarily cut the tube!