Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging with the 130pds

Russe

The only challenge I find with the 130PDS is with a finder guider, DSLR and dew shield on it really needs a counterweight at the back as it is so short you can't shift it in the tube rings enough to compensate and balance, Thats the next project though :grin: and should be a simple fix

Cheers

Ross

Just had this problem for the first time after fitting self made dew shields.

Any idea what weights to attach to the backside??

Just had this problem for the first time after fitting self made dew shields.

Any idea what weights to attach to the backside??

I'n still working on a permanent fix, at the moment I have a couple of jubilee clips joined together to go around the scope with ankle weights hanging from them.  Not pretty and needs better distribution really.  I'm thinking of using a strip of roofing lead and fixing that around the base of the scope so I can wrap that around evenly.

Cheers

Ross

• Like 1

I have been hoping that people would start posting great images from the 130PDS since it was released. I think the slow uptake was that it was perceived to be 'too cheap to take seriously'. I think it is cracking telescope. If it had been available when I started, I would have had one for sure. As it is, I have the 150P and it's just the same but with a tiny bit more focal length. They are close enough that I don't intend to swap to the 130PDS but if something happened to my 150P I would get a 130PDS as a replacement.

Here is a couple from the 150P with an SXV-H9 and Baader filters on an NEQ6 with a QHY5 finderguider.

gallery_5915_426_216456.jpg

gallery_5915_426_9830.jpg

gallery_5915_426_11392.jpg

• Like 18

130P DS Ordered from FLO along with Coma Corrector, M48 Adapter and Cheshire Collimator - To say i am excited is a complete understatement.

In the last month i have also purchased a CG5 mount and a Canon 600d - This has all stemmed from my Mrs buying me a Celestron 76EQ at Xmas. Part of me is wondering whether she might now be regretting that now?

• Like 3

130P DS Ordered from FLO along with Coma Corrector, M48 Adapter and Cheshire Collimator - To say i am excited is a complete understatement.

In the last month i have also purchased a CG5 mount and a Canon 600d - This has all stemmed from my Mrs buying me a Celestron 76EQ at Xmas. Part of me is wondering whether she might now be regretting that now?

Welcome to the club :)

With luck, you wont need to collimate out of the box - but no harm in checking.

• Like 2

This has all stemmed from my Mrs buying me a Celestron 76EQ at Xmas. Part of me is wondering whether she might now be regretting that now?

Mrs bought me a book, a couple of Christmases ago. So it's entirely her fault that half our bedroom is filled with astro kit :)

• Like 5

Lol! Welcome to the club! Feel free to put up your images in this thread!!

• Like 1

Good news: My better hald just called to say that the good guys over at FLO were true to their word and two large boxes had just turned up at our house.

Bad News: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2650086

Good News: Steve over at FLO just emailed me this (http://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/zarkov-cloud-gun.html) anyone else tried it and how successful was it??  :grin:

• Like 3

Good news: My better hald just called to say that the good guys over at FLO were true to their word and two large boxes had just turned up at our house.

Bad News: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2650086

Good News: Steve over at FLO just emailed me this (http://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/zarkov-cloud-gun.html) anyone else tried it and how successful was it??  :grin:

lol  :eek:

just ordered one too!! cant wait to test this baby out :D

Edited by tingting44

Russe, lovely image of the pinwheel galaxy.

Brilliant, Martin, can I borrow your cloud gun to freeze a couple of people for a few hours, they can then defrost at room temperature. Ha,ha.

• Like 2

There are some wonderful images on this thread - very inspiring :) ...can I just ask a quick question? 

I'm about to buy a 2nd hand EQ5 and was planning to buy a separate 150P-DS (new)...the idea being that it'd be good for visuals whilst I learn the basics and could then be upgraded for imaging if I ever go down that route - I'd certainly like to try. If I'm right the EQ5 would handle the weight of the 150 plus camera.

Can someone explain what advantage the 130P-DS has over the 150P-DS. Apart from being slightly cheaper I, as a complete novice, would have thought that the greater aperture on the 150 would have been a good thing? Or is that the 130 weighs even less than the 150 and so the EQ5 would be as stable as possible?

I hope the question makes sense. Thanks for reading!

The 130pds is less of a windsail. And imaging wise, the aperture/focal length won't make a massive difference.

What is easier (see earlier), the focuser is easier to upgrade on the 150pds. But the stock focuser on the 130pds is excellent and won't need upgrading for most folks.

Another problem for the 130 PDS is: short tube - if you put camera, dew shield etc on it, then it's a bit top heavy and difficult to balance.

It does depend on what you want to image. Both these scopes are around f5, the 130 is 650 mm fl, the 150, 750 mm fl I believe. The difference is not huge and a lot of the DSO objects shot are still bigger than a single mosaic frame on the 130Pds. To be honest either is supposed to be a good scope but the 130 is slightly easier to handle for the mount.

Cheers

Ross

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Like 1