Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First light was great!

I few days ago, my CGEM 800 arrived. I was originally planning on using it tomorrow night for the first time, but halfway on my way to work this evening, I was called by my employer...they put me on call for the night. So I raced home and set up my scope in the front yard. I did my best with my first alignment attempt, but it took some manual adjusting to find what I was looking for after the alignment procedures. I'll just keep practicing I guess! First I took a look at the moon, it was very nice. Then I managed to find Jupiter and four of it's moons. It was awesome! I was able to make out some pretty decent surface details. I found myself in some pretty awkward positions on the ground, my jeans got wet in the grass, and by the end of my session, my legs felt like popsicles. It was soooo worth it! I have an observing chair that will be here on Tuesday, so that will make things easier. Also an eyepiece kit that I'm pretty excited to try out, amongst other things.

Just one quick question for now...I had some issues getting the power cord to attach to my mount well enough so it would maintain a connection at first, it seemed like it was too loose. Eventually I gave it a final good twist and it managed to stay. Now after taking my scope down, I can't seem to get it disconnected and I don't want to break it. Has anyone else had an issue with this? It seems like a silly problem, but I don't know what to do about it.

I few days ago, my CGEM 800 arrived. I was originally planning on using it tomorrow night for the first time, but halfway on my way to work this evening, I was called by my employer...they put me on call for the night. So I raced home and set up my scope in the front yard. I did my best with my first alignment attempt, but it took some manual adjusting to find what I was looking for after the alignment procedures. I'll just keep practicing I guess! First I took a look at the moon, it was very nice. Then I managed to find Jupiter and four of it's moons. It was awesome! I was able to make out some pretty decent surface details. I found myself in some pretty awkward positions on the ground, my jeans got wet in the grass, and by the end of my session, my legs felt like popsicles. It was soooo worth it! I have an observing chair that will be here on Tuesday, so that will make things easier. Also an eyepiece kit that I'm pretty excited to try out, amongst other things.

Just one quick question for now...I had some issues getting the power cord to attach to my mount well enough so it would maintain a connection at first, it seemed like it was too loose. Eventually I gave it a final good twist and it managed to stay. Now after taking my scope down, I can't seem to get it disconnected and I don't want to break it. Has anyone else had an issue with this? It seems like a silly problem, but I don't know what to do about it.

can you show us a picture of the connection ? might be able to explain it better then

Sounds like a great first night. Glad you had so much fun. Rolling around in the grass must have been so worthwhile for that first time.

As said above, best to post a pic of the power connector just so someone can advise exactly what you have rather than give some advice on a different type of connector.

Great first light. Wait til you point it towards some star clusters, jaw droppingly Amazing!!

I've only just discovered the joy of using a chair while observing. Makes so much difference and can really extend a viewing session. No more popsicle legs for you. Have fun.

IF it's the standard type of connector, then it's a case of making sure the pulling motion is directly out from the mount so that you don;t put any sideways pressure on it and risk fracturing the joints between the socket and the board.  Like previous posters have said, if you can post a pic we can be more sure...

Archived