Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How To Get Your Partner Interested in Astronomy

Hi All,

Many of us wish that our significant others were a bit more interested in what we do with our telescopes on a chilly night. My wife is very understanding of my feeling the need to stand around in a park at night with a telescope, even if she thinks I'm a bit mad, but with very good seeing and clear skies I managed to convince her to come out with me. It's not that she's not interested in astronomy, she finds it fascinating, she just doesn't like the standing around in the dark aspect of it.

So we went down the park tonight and she was a bit grumbly. I promised only a short session (We have work tomorrow), so set on four objects - Jupiter, M42, M67 and the Moon. In the end we looked at the Pleiades as well - that's her favourite. My wife's knowledge of the sky is getting better - she can identify Orion's belt, she can recognise Jupiter and she's even worked out where the Pleiades and Betelgeuse are.

We started with Jupiter which she'd previously seen in the ST80. The seeing was pretty crisp so I was able to crank up the magnification somewhat and I showed her Io transiting. That elicited a wow. Then I moved it on to the Orion Nebula; plenty to see there even with the moon up - it has a definite greenish tinge and a deal of structure in the nebula. She agreed that this was pretty cool, then requested the Pleiades - never as spectacular in a Dob. We saw plenty of stars but, of course, no nebulosity from our urban moonlit location. So I whipped over to M67 for her to show her a cluster that really is spectacular in the Dob and of course very different in nature to the Pleiades. This impressed her again. But the biggest gasps were reserved for the moon which really was looking lovely. All that steady sky meant that I could zoom right in to some of the small craters and mountains and we even picked up some of the features like the rilles etc. The moon is something I need to swot up on... Afterwards she whistfully said she should join me more often. I hope she does!

So this is how to get your partner interested. Failing that, provide wine...

DD

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems a dangerous area, if they have no interest then respect that and don't force it on them.

They are not a clone of you.

If they have no interest are you going to follow their preference and give it all up?

If you really want to get her interested - just try and sound a bit "iffy" and act "suspiciously" whenever you sneak into bed at 4 in the morning and she asks where you've been. Saying things like "honestly" on the end of "Oh, I've only been out with the lads" usually arouses interest. When naming the "lads" - pick the ones known to be filanderers - and dab a bit of perfume on your neck (one that she doesn't wear). She'll be joining you on every nocturnal excursion like a flash. lol :)

Think you've done better than most of us have, my husband has barely looked through the scope and only after a bit of nagging.

It would be nice to share hobbies but they are either interested or they are not. 

Carole

That's good to share an interest. For my Wife and Daughter, they appreciate that this is my thing and not really theirs and I wouldn't expect it any other way. As a family, it brings us together for weekend star party camping trips, in which day time activities might include a short circular walk via a bird hide, or they go off to a local leisure pool whilst I attend the event  talks etc. It's all quite harmonious really and builds an appreciation of a true night sky for my daughter at least. Has got to be a better pursuit than say obsessing over going to football matches, which I have never expressed an interest in. 

Would you really like your partner to get so interested that he/she wants to borrow your stuff? or even want to buy their own? Are you nuts? :)

ChrisH

...and you don't want to be arguing about who gets custody of the Naglers when the divorce papers come through :lol:

If you really want to get her interested - just try and sound a bit "iffy" and act "suspiciously" whenever you sneak into bed at 4 in the morning and she asks where you've been. Saying things like "honestly" on the end of "Oh, I've only been out with the lads" usually arouses interest. When naming the "lads" - pick the ones known to be filanderers - and dab a bit of perfume on your neck (one that she doesn't wear). She'll be joining you on every nocturnal excursion like a flash. lol :)

I've heard of devious but .......

Tried & failed

Mrs has no interest in astronomy what so ever

Time to file a divorce, clearly in the wrong relationship :grin:

My missus only has a passive interest, as long as I do all the searching and researching  and setting up, put in the eyepieces she'll happily take part.  She is not one of those to look  through the eyepiece  for a long time, but likes to have a look at everything, though on the odd occasion looking at Jupiter has been wanting to hug the eyepiece for a bit longer. Two scopes, problem solved whenever she comes out :smiley:

I'm hoping that warmer weather and gin will do the trick.

The trouble is that my wife and I tend to rather egg each other on in the spending front if it is on a mutual interest. This could be a disastrous combination in the presence in Mr Televue and his friends.

Paul

My missus only has a passive interest, as long as I do all the searching and researching  and setting up, put in the eyepieces she'll happily take part.  She is not one of those to look  through the eyepiece  for a long time, but likes to have a look at everything, though on the odd occasion looking at Jupiter has been wanting to hug the eyepiece for a bit longer. Two scopes, problem solved whenever she comes out :smiley:

Sound like you have got it about right.

Paul

No way, I'd rather see it "live." :)

Couldn't agree more.

And you can probably get pictures of pretty much anything on the internet these days, so by the same argument you could just spend your entire life watching youtube instead of actually doing something.

My wife has no interest in astronomy.  On the one had that's a shame because it would be pleasant to share the hobby.  On the other, I find spending time alone gazing at a star-filled sky an incredibly peaceful thing to do so having no-one else around is actually rather pleasant.

James

My Wife likes observing the night sky, only she doesn't care for cold weather. She will come outside at a moments notice when there's something interesting to see, but would prefer the comforts of an Observatory, music, and a glass of wine to gaze the night away.

Edit:  I wonder how she will feel about a dome over her sun deck ?   :unsure:

I would not bother trying. Different people are into different things.  There's no rule saying that we all have to be into the same things.

As astronomy is a huge part of my life, at very least i would like a partner to at least respect/understand my love for it and accept it.

Archived