Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another Galaxy Hunting session from the forest

Daniel-K

Clear sky was forcasted after 12 so i was game for a late night session at the forest our local dark spot 30min drive out of Halewood on the edge of Liverpool. Of course i rang my observing buddy Barry AKA Baz. As it turned out the weather forcast was wrong and it cleared up really early but the moon was up so there was no rush to get there but with the chance of clear sky im always like a little kid in a sweet shop. we arrived at the forest around half 9. The moon was still quite high but setting fast.By the time i was set up and running it was after 10.The wind was awful blasting against the shroud causing it to blow in between the truss's but we stuck it out and it dropped later on. conditions were great even though the moon was up  till 1 you could tell the seeing was nearly at its best. Earlier that day i had flocked the lower truss to help battle dew, when i put the scope on the moon instantly i could tell the difference. One day i may spend some time observing our satellite but untill i get board of faint fuzzy's it's just a pain in the backside. Id found this site in the day time http://www.skymap.com/smp_target_lists.htm#SNGalaxies and there's a list of bright galaxies for SN patrol on there, i had a plan of getting through them all as most of them are in UMA and i thought that if the conditions wasnt up to it i may be able to at least see these as UMA is high after 12. That went out the window when the moon dropped the galaxies came out to play. :D

NGC 3893 UMA This was out first galaxy of the night.  one arm was easily visible @ around mag 10 you wouldn't think to see much but a faint smudge but wrong even with the moon still up the core was very bright and a distintive arm sticking out was seen. one to be seen with smaller aperture

NCG 3949 UMA another one in UMA with a bright core and wispy halo around the core MAG 11.5

NGC 2842 this has become a bit of  a favorite for me,  its super bright and with a dark thin patch just in front of the core MAG 10.

NGC 2681 wow this was a small one, Baz found this one dont know how he spotted it !

NGC 2776 in my notes i wrote down very low surface brightness as it was just a faint halo the core was very hard to see.

NGC 2950

NGC 2768

NGC 2742

NGC 4605 This was a real shock i actually thought i had missed my mark and found M82, i wrote down in my notes looks like m82.it has the same cigar shape as M82 and is nearly as bright. well worth a look

M59

M60  with NGC 4647

NGC 5676 not sure if we got IC1029 aswell this was a really faint galaxy not far from it so we assumed we had got the IC

NGC 5886 MAG 14! according to wiki and in my notes i have it down as V.B (very bright) and i was me and Baz both commented on the shapr being elongated. 

NGG 5879

NGC 5907 Barry found this BELTER. On first glace it seems a faint smudge but with a little time at the glass it starts to revel itself, a huge elongated galaxy. :icon_salut: to Baz for finding this one as there is nothing around this apart from a few very faint stars. http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080619.html one for you imagers!

M104

NGC 4684

NGC 4691

NGC 4697

NGG 4666

NGC 4632

NGC 4592

NGC 5813

NGC 5838

NGC 5850 & 5846 super pair of galaxies to observe in the same FOV

NGC 5713

NGC 6207 Barry bagged this one. its the galaxy by M13 ive never attempted this as i always thought it was too faint but there it was.

We took the time to have a look at M82 to see the SN again and it was still there but i was more interested in the outstanding dark patch's showing in M82

I thing Baz had more fun than i did he spent alot of time at chasing down alot of these galaxy's last night and TBH some of these i would have just browsed right over.We decided to call it a day at 3AM. and then the dreaded task of unloading at 4AM when i got in. Another super night at the forest :D oh and now @ 105 Galaxies seen and identified with this scope :cool:

Dan

Sounds like you guys had a really great evening. Slendid report and thank you for taking the time to write it up :grin: I'm going to pinch some of these numbers when I'm next out a dark site (I'll wait now until the Moon subsides a little) and see if they can be tweaked with the 10". 105 galaxies! That's impressive stuff, Dan :icon_salut:

Sounds like you guys had a really great evening. Slendid report and thank you for taking the time to write it up :grin: I'm going to pinch some of these numbers when I'm next out a dark site (I'll wait now until the Moon subsides a little) and see if they can be tweaked with the 10". 105 galaxies! That's impressive stuff, Dan :icon_salut:

alot of those are very bright from a semi dark site they will be visible. pinch away :)  thats 105 in 3 trips out BTW ;) 

Archived