Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge_winners.thumb.jpg.6becf44442bc7105be59da91b2bee295.jpg

crbazzer

synscan goto, says there are no stars to align to in this region

I've been out tonight with my sky watcher 130p goto, I couldn't set it up because the hand set said there was only one star to align to but I couldn't see this one because of the house. there were no more stars in the list for  my region bright enough to align to but I could see plenty in the sky. I think the handset only lists stars above a brightness of 1.5. what are you suppose to do if you can't align the scope. I have aligned it before in the same place. Is there a way of picking my own stars to align to.

The handset gives you two alignment options, brightest star and 2 star alignment. Brightest star asks for a region of sky to choose from for the first star and 2 star allows you to choose your own alignment stars from the list.

yes I know this but I couldn't point to the brightest star one and the two star alignment said there were no stars in this region to point to ?

if I am looking south do I pick the southern region, I think this is correct, I could clearly see Sirius low down and orions belt and Jupiter etc but the handset didn't give me any stars in the 2star list to choose from.

i'm an idiot !!!!!  just sussed out what I was doing wrong. when setting the hand set up, I inputted the date as 08/03/2014,8th of march 2014 when looking closer the day and the month are the wrong way around, it should have been 03/08/2014, at 20:00  on this date it will be still daylight. Not surprising it wouldn't give me any stars to align to. I will know next time.

If I had a pound for everyone who admits to doing this I could afford to update my scope right now  :grin:  :grin:

Good luck.

if I am looking south do I pick the southern region,

No, you are in the northern hemisphere even if you are looking south.

thanks proto star, yes I know i'm in the northern hemisphere, what I meant was the handset asks which region you want to align your stars with. I'm looking to the south so I input southern region.

Ooops, sorry.

Synscan sounds completely different to the celestron system.