SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

synscan goto, says there are no stars to align to in this region

I've been out tonight with my sky watcher 130p goto, I couldn't set it up because the hand set said there was only one star to align to but I couldn't see this one because of the house. there were no more stars in the list for  my region bright enough to align to but I could see plenty in the sky. I think the handset only lists stars above a brightness of 1.5. what are you suppose to do if you can't align the scope. I have aligned it before in the same place. Is there a way of picking my own stars to align to.

if I am looking south do I pick the southern region, I think this is correct, I could clearly see Sirius low down and orions belt and Jupiter etc but the handset didn't give me any stars in the 2star list to choose from.

i'm an idiot !!!!!  just sussed out what I was doing wrong. when setting the hand set up, I inputted the date as 08/03/2014,8th of march 2014 when looking closer the day and the month are the wrong way around, it should have been 03/08/2014, at 20:00  on this date it will be still daylight. Not surprising it wouldn't give me any stars to align to. I will know next time.

thanks proto star, yes I know i'm in the northern hemisphere, what I meant was the handset asks which region you want to align your stars with. I'm looking to the south so I input southern region.

Archived