Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

kev100

What did I just see?

Hiya,

Just got in from a viewing session with my 20x80 binoculars. Although the moon's really bright ( and looked amazing through the bins), I was able to 'see' the whirlpool galaxy, Andromeda, M52, the Plieades - all very faint - the Orion Nebula, and Jupiter. Quite amazing really, given how bright it is. Anyway, when I realised I could see Andromeda, I though I'd have a look for the Triangulum Galaxy, so I was looking to the northwest from here, when, with - I think, Mirach in the fov - suddenly, something began falling vertically down through the fov. It was orangey red, falling quite slowly, and with what looked like bits falling off the back of it. It really looked 'molten' ... It was all over in a couple of seconds, if that.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Kev.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hiya,

Just got in from a viewing session with my 20x80 binoculars. Although the moon's really bright ( and looked amazing through the bins), I was able to 'see' the whirlpool galaxy, Andromeda, M52, the Plieades - all very faint - the Orion Nebula, and Jupiter. Quite amazing really, given how bright it is. Anyway, when I realised I could see Andromeda, I though I'd have a look for the Triangulum Galaxy, so I was looking to the northwest from here, when, with - I think, Mirach in the fov - suddenly, something began falling vertically down through the fov. It was orangey red, falling quite slowly, and with what looked like bits falling off the back of it. It really looked 'molten' ... It was all over in a couple of seconds, if that.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Kev.

interesting what time did you see it?? I saw the same thing around 9:15pm same area as you.. thought it was a satellite at first but like you say it seemed to be 'breaking up'... thought I was going mad :D

Yep you are in fact going mad....or got even madder (hmm is madder even a word??)  :grin:

Seriously though my guess is that you saw some space junk burning up as it was entering the atmosphere, must of been pretty cool to see anyway. :)

Edit: Kev you did really well to spot all those objects with the moon out with your binos!

Edited by Mike73
  • Like 1

Yep you are in fact going mad....or got even madder (hmm is madder even a word??)  :grin:

Seriously though my guess is that you saw some space junk burning up as it was entering the atmosphere, must of been pretty cool to see anyway. :)

I think the 'going' is an understatement :D I think madder is a word.. but I wouldn't trust this crazy lady! It was pretty awesome the orange 'glow' is what threw me off... I was searching (unsuccessfully) for the Andromeda galaxy and then suddenly that! space junk it is I reckon...

• Like 1

possibly a meteor as another contender.  i once spotted a very bright  meteor breaking up, i was lucky id only had my scope a few months and getting into astronomy as a hobby ,and bagged a fireball so soon .  im glad this forum exists,as it gave me confirmation that i didnt imagine it ,as others reported it.

what ever it was ,its always a joy ,and theres a few surprises out there .

I've seen a meteor through bins before and it was an amazing sight. I could see its colour and sparks fragmenting off.

Kev's description is very similar to what I saw, it must have been a slow one though, or as mentioned, space junk.

Edited by Phil Fargaze

Hi all, just saw your replies. It was definitely around 9:15 last night, and yes, I could just make out the whirlpool with the bins, it was a faint, dark smudge? Andromeda was a bit brighter, though of course only the centre most area was visible. I feel pretty certain it was a meteor, though space junk is also a possibility.

This is what I like about keeping a log book, I can always refer back. Here is an extract from 2011 August 21st 22:00 UT. On holiday at Bonchurch Isle of Wight with my 25x100 binoculars.

" Just as I found the comet ( Garradd C/2009 P1 ) in the bins a meteor passed through the field of view which was a stunning sight. It was hard to tell if it would have been visible with the naked eye. It was slow, white with a 3 degree path length and a sparkle as it ended! A real celestial firework!"

• Like 2

H. Phil,

Thanks for the reminder. I'd forgotten to write up my diary.

Cheers,

Kev.

All great finds with the binoculars Kev!  I saw something similar a couple of years ago with my 10" Dobsodian.  The chances of looking at that very area was quite lucky indeed but I nearly fell off my chair when i saw the red glow.  It lasted a fraction of a second and then of course..  I fell off my chair and gave my dog quite a start!

Isabelle