SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

first (ish) light, Skywatcher 100p

bomberbaz

post-26735-0-67626600-1394225885_thumb.jpost-26735-0-35812000-1394225946_thumb.j

I am going to get straight to the point with this, fun, fun and more fun.

Really dont know where to start but all I can say that I love it. Good things, easy to control, focuser a littke tricky but smooth, next to nothing cool down. Super lightweihht. Viewing up to 133x but thats deffo limit, optimum I think is around 67 with a 6mm to 80x w7th a 5. Supplied eps are both fine, i addef some tmbs at 8 n 6. Love the fantastic wide field views you get and overall think its worth every penny.

cons: ok you need a table or mount to use it. (See pictues), you need to be reasonobly nimble for the table option and need to move it around on table depending what area of sky you are using. Focuser is tad touchy,

PROS AGAIN. Its sohhhhhhh much fun and I love it,

Tonight I got using sky and telescope sky atlas maps lots of easy stuff, M31,45,42 double cluster but was chuffed as mintballs to hit M101. Only just getting it with averted vision but got it I did.

I can see this being my best used scope for a quickie, ooer madam ;-)

If u are looking for a grab n go, look no further

steve

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wrote this brief review after a quick 30 min bash and in that time I had managed to star hop 3 dso,s I had never done previously with a scope I just want to put in my pocket next to my mobile phome, I never ho anywhere eithout that.

honestly though I love it. I have used it twice since (3 times in 4 days, ehats that about ur best svope being the one u use the most!)it really has changed my stargazing outlook, marks out of 10, 11

Hi Steve, I meant to ask how well collimated the scope was when it arrived? have you defocused it on a star at high mag to see how the doughnut looks? My bino's give me wicked neck strain so this could be the solution :)

Chris

Hiya chris, l would say the collimation is very good, just made a couple of tweaks with the secondary but other than that its fine.

I am using as mentioned 2 stock and 2 tmb eyepieces and a barlow, all bases covered. Get one, u will love it

Steve

Thanks Steve, I've nearly finished building a custom 150p f/5 mini dob but this little 100p looks light amd small enough that you could walk around with it like a pair of bino's but without the pain in the neck :) I'm suppose to be saving but I might run this past my wife as I'm starting to really want one, I might sling a few more bits on Ebay to get the reddies. I bet it looks miniture even compared to my 150p!

Thanks for the info on collimation, It was a worry with it being f/4 and having a fixed cell. I wonder if anyone else on the forum has bought one?

This is exactly what its like using a 150P on an AZ4, fun.

just obviously the views are a bit better in a 150p :)   I cant be bothered with a big scope at the moment and the 6" is more than enough and gets used loads.   Funny that every one of my eyepieces costs more than the scope lol :D

I've just ordered one :)

I've been thinking about it very carefully and I think this little scope would be very practical considering the time I'll have with 3 kids pending and gaps in clouds etc. Plus in a couple of years my oldest might want to use it :)

Chris

• 8 months later...

I have gone one better than this, i picked up a 114 f500 vertuoso tube on a heritage dob base from astroboot for a stupidly cheap price, it should be arriving any minute, i will be using it for a variety of projects including Luna with a webcam and Solar with webcam plus a grab an go holiday scope, in the main it will be used on my AZ supertrack mount 

I have gone one better than this, i picked up a 114 f500 vertuoso tube on a heritage dob base from astroboot for a stupidly cheap price, it should be arriving any minute, i will be using it for a variety of projects including Luna with a webcam and Solar with webcam plus a grab an go holiday scope, in the main it will be used on my AZ supertrack mount 

Congrats :) I saw that scope and it was so well priced I nearly bought it despite having the 100p!

I love it! :)

i am going to make this my car boot, go anywhere scope. I think next time swmbo is working at the weekend I shall obtain the wood needed and get fettling. I already have a tripod to mount the base on (its fitted with a 3/8 ) and on a fast release clip.

Idea being stop car when out after seeing clients in some dark spot, tripod up, clip on, use iphone as a sky map and away I go, simples. 

i am going to make this my car boot, go anywhere scope. I think next time swmbo is working at the weekend I shall obtain the wood needed and get fettling. I already have a tripod to mount the base on (its fitted with a 3/8 ) and on a fast release clip.

Idea being stop car when out after seeing clients in some dark spot, tripod up, clip on, use iphone as a sky map and away I go, simples. 

lol brilliant idea! I still need to try mine out on the horizon tripod, I've just been bunging it on the outside table so far. Alas, so many things to try and so few clear nights :(

Here is a couple of snaps of my new 114 baby dob, the slightly big brother to these 100 dobs, dont know if i will keep it as im going through my "sell all my gear to have just one scope" wobble yet again, there really is no cure for me, but once i use it on the AZ supertrack, im sure i will like it

post-8850-0-20099800-1417870187_thumb.jp

post-8850-0-53056500-1417870222_thumb.jp

dont know if i will keep it as im going through my "sell all my gear to have just one scope" wobble yet again, there really is no cure for me, but once i use it on the AZ supertrack, im sure i will like it

lol I wonder how many of us have that wobble? I definately get it worse with the lack of clear skies!

Here is a couple of snaps of my new 114 baby dob, the slightly big brother to these 100 dobs, dont know if i will keep it as im going through my "sell all my gear to have just one scope" wobble yet again, there really is no cure for me, but once i use it on the AZ supertrack, im sure i will like it

jules, you can't move that one on...I mean, how many scopes would fit in the glovebox of your truck :D. they are amazingly enjoyable to use thou these little dobs

"after seeing clients in some dark spot" what kind of work do you do???

Archived