Hello from England!

Christeen

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to quickly introduce myself. My name is Christine and I think I'm about to get into stargazing... It all started a little less than a year ago when on my way home from the Science Museum in London I saw a poster for the Visions of Space Exhibition in Greenwich and I've been hooked ever since (the exhibition did a LOT for that, it was absolutely amazing). I also saw the Astronomy Photographer of the Year exhibition there, and again, it was fantastic.

Now, I think when I get home tonight there will be a pair of binoculars waiting for me, I'm sure I'll thoroughly enjoy them (even without having read up on what to look at for now ... the sky, I presume ...), no plans to get a telescope just yet.

Anyway, that's about as much as I can think of as an introduction for now :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Christine and welcome to the forum. To compliment your new binos, you might like to consider taking a look at this site which provides some useful information on observing and mounting them, along with a monthly list of objects to view.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum

James

Welcome to SGL!

A pair of binoculars is a great place to start. Too many people go straight to computerised telescopes and miss out learning their way around the night sky (and I'm one of the guilty ones!).

Get yourself a good sky map book or even the latest copy of one of the astronomy magazines (Sky at Night magazine now has a "binocular tour" section each month) and you will soon be hooked!

Bobmoss, I intend on learning all the things  :biggrin:  And no, that has nothing to do with the fact that I have neither the room nor the monies for a telescope. Ahem.

I had a look around my library and they seem to have a number of astronomy books, but I have yet to find some sort of introduction for complete newbies like me. I know I could find a lot of useful stuff online, but then I look at a screen for most of my waking hours anyway, so I might just try and order something to get my head around the basics. I think for tonight (hopefully) I will just have a random sweep of the sky.

Thanks for the warm welcome, you lot  ^_^

Bobmoss, I intend on learning all the things  :biggrin:  And no, that has nothing to do with the fact that I have neither the room nor the monies for a telescope. Ahem.

I had a look around my library and they seem to have a number of astronomy books, but I have yet to find some sort of introduction for complete newbies like me. I know I could find a lot of useful stuff online, but then I look at a screen for most of my waking hours anyway, so I might just try and order something to get my head around the basics. I think for tonight (hopefully) I will just have a random sweep of the sky.

Thanks for the warm welcome, you lot  ^_^

Turn Left at Orion, seems to be one of the favourite books to learn the sky and Forums like this for the tech stuff.

Ade

Archived