Should this unscrew??

I have bought a used FF/FR which has a ring on the camera end - see attached photo - I have put a red line through the offending part.

The ring is (I think!) a Synta camera mount.

I think I want to screw my T ring on the the threads currently occupied by the tapered ring ???

Does the tapered ring unscrew?? I cant shift it with bare hands.

Or am I going about it the wrong way all together???

post-33941-0-20610300-1394136554_thumb.j

Thanks Roger

Thats what I thought - question now is how to get the ring off - I cant use heat !!

Maybe some one with seriously strong hands !!

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply and for sharing your knowledge.

It is always a problem getting these adaptor rings off once they become cold welded, when you try and grip the ring by hand and squeeze then the ring distorts and holds even tighter, a small strap wrench that distributes the squeezing force evenly around the ring is normally all that is required, something like this "Baby Boa" from Amazon will do the job (minimum 6mm diameter to maximum 100mm diameter).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BOA-13-2610-Baby-Strap-Wrench/dp/B00096JDJY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394145974&sr=8-1&keywords=small+strap+wrench

If you want to try another (old timers) option we used to wrap five or six turns of decorators paper-based masking tape around the ring as this lets you get a non-slip grip without having to squeeze quite so tightly.

Hi Billy,

You are probably aware by now that a standard T" adaptor ring won't fit on this FF/FR you need the M48 type to suit your camera... this is important in as much as the M48 adaptor ring is designed to give the correct BACK FOCUS distance required by the FF/FR with your particular camera.

What scope are you going to use this on?... I am not sure it will work correctly on a 200PDS or the 130p... especially if you have a coma corrector installed.

Best Regards.

Sandy. :grin:

Archived