Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

QM departs from his beloved EQ5

Quatermass

Well this will be my last image from my  EQ5 mount (M106) :cry:  as I am about to get an HEQ5 which is arriving next week :wink:  So I thought I would post the news on here as there are quite a few over the years that have followed my progress with the EQ5 and I don't want any one thinking I have abandoned my love of the EQ5 mount.

I have said many times that good images are very possible with the EQ5 mount and have really enjoyed using it to do my imaging but have been saving up to get an HEQ5 for some time as I wanted a mount that was better able to support the weight of my 200P which I use for all my imaging now.

I hope that while I was using the EQ5 my experiences have helped others just starting out with astrophotography and encouraged people on a budget to take up the hobby and enjoy it.

But I am really looking forward to getting to grips with the HEQ5. Thank you so much for all the help and support I have received from all my friends on this great forum, you know who you are  :icon_salut:

QM

M106+Final+Image+2014.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad day there wont be many left that dont believe that the only entry level mount is the HEQ5.

Alan

Well I loved using my EQ5 mount and although its not as beefy as the HEQ5 it certainly is able to give you great images and cut the cost down as well so I hope very much people on a budget will continue to take up the challenge and use them.

Youre going to like the new mount! Guiding will be much less of a trial with the HEQ5, leaving you to concentrate on and improve other areas of your setup.

Might be worth flashing the handset to the latest vesion.

Youre going to like the new mount! Guiding will be much less of a trial with the HEQ5, leaving to to concentrate on and improve other areas of your setup.

Might be worth flashing the handset to the latest vesion.

Cheers Uranium, I will be using eqmod to control it with Astro tortilla just love that software.

I am really glad I got my head around using eqmod and astro tortilla they are brilliant together. If you have not tried astrotortilla yet your really missing out its fantastic at getting your targets bang in the middle of your frame. Combined with the HEQ5 or the EQ5 they are a great combo for imaging.

My efforts to get stuff in the middle have been to circle the DSO syncing stars focus the DSLR on the last one then slew and its right in the middle, but i may get round to AT some time, so many other thing to sort out, seems never ending....then there's the clouds we have had the last 2-3 months.

Astro Tortilla does away with all that faffing around slew, take a shot, hit the solve button wait for a minute then it slews your scope to the correct position and takes another shot and there is your target in the middle of your screen it really is that simple to use. So long as you select the right index files in the install process it works great. Try it you will love it.

Sad day there wont be many left that dont believe that the only entry level mount is the HEQ5.

Alan

I think these smashing photo's are more to do with the skill of the operator than the equipment. I suggest that these are in spite of his equipment not because of it. I wouldn't get anything so good if I was given an astro physics mount to use

Thanks James, well I had a good long apprentice with my EQ5 mount and that was a good thing really if the HEQ5 is as good as people say it is then I am going to really enjoy using it but I will be writing a full review of my experience with it compared to the EQ5 it feels strange saying fare well to the EQ5 but I got every last drop of value from it and I will do the same with the HEQ5 as well no doubt.

Lovely image, I used to image quite well with my now departed EQ5 Pro and have seen any real improvements with the HEQ5Pro, perhaps I could load it up a bit more.

Regards,

A.G

Is that "have seen improvements" AG or haven't seen them?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Farewell old faithful eq5 it clearly served you well :)

Mine is still going strong and will be for a while but I'm starting to get some results now and can only look forward to the next clear night to have another bash!

Only doing this thanks to your blog mate so one day if I'm ever down your way I'll buy you a beer or three!

Looking forward to seeing what you can manage with the new mount!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alan

Oh there's a few of us standard EQ5 users around that will continue to carry the torch don't you worry :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived