sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

What are your 4 favorite magnifications?

Just a quick poll - I would be interested to know how others would rationalize their eyepiece collections...

If you only had 4 magnifications to use for all your observation, 2 for planetary and 2 for deep space, what would they be?

For me, my instinct would be to 75x and 150x for DSO, 200x and 300x for planetary. And of those four, I would probably be using the 150x and 200x the great majority of the time (this is on a 8"F10 scope)

How about you?

With regard to my 8" F10 and considering four options from my eyepiece set, I would go with 78x and 127x for low and medium power concerning many DSO's and 156x and 203x for medium / high and high power for planets.

My favourite magnifications start with something low;  around 50 power and than 100 and then 160  and finally around 330.

But mostly I use the lower powers because I normally view star formations like clusters etc..

My scope is a 120 mm refractor  which works best (it seems) around the 50 to 150 range.

If I had to stick with 4 with my 12" F/5.3 dob I think it would be:

50x

100x

180x 

260x

I'd miss not having more options at high power though - sometimes just 20x plus or minus can hit the spot that the seeing conditions are allowing.

I really have no idea. I start with either a 32 or 25 mm and work through until I get the biggest sharp image I can.

So I need to learn another skill.

That's what I like about this hobby, learning all the time.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/188794-eyepiece-groups/ shows how I chose my set.

if I had to choose four it would be 26mm Nagler, 13mm Ethos, 10mm Radian, 8mm Radian

In my four scopes they give

71x, 142x, 184x and 230x

62x, 124x, 160x and 200x

52x, 104x, 134x and 167x

29x, 28x, 75x and 93x

Thank goodness I have other options :grin:

i use x50, x100 for all my DSO work and x200 as my default planetary. Very occasionally i will barlow my old skywatcher 10mm to give x300 - but thats reserved for very infrequent occasions for those extra special nights.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/188794-eyepiece-groups/ shows how I chose my set.

if I had to choose four it would be 26mm Nagler, 13mm Ethos, 10mm Radian, 8mm Radian

In my four scopes they give

71x, 142x, 184x and 230x

62x, 124x, 160x and 200x

52x, 104x, 134x and 167x

29x, 28x, 75x and 93x

Thank goodness I have other options :grin:

Thanks for sharing your other post. I enjoyed reading it. Quite an enviable collection you have there!

For the moment, I am kind of cheating. I bought a Baader Zoom to cover my most used magnifications, however, I am still thinking about building a "backbone" of single focal length eyepieces to use when I want a little more performance than the zoom allows. Hence, I am thinking of the following

24mm ES 68 (85x) - widest TFOV I can get in 1.25 format

20mm TV Plossl (100x) - the highest in light transmission for faint fuzzies

14mm Delos - (145x) I can only have one very best lens. This is probably the swiss army knife magnification that I will use the most, so I will spend the $$ there

10mm BCO - (200x) -  highest contrast for planetary

Not sure if 14mm or 12mm is the better option for the Delos selection. In fact, not sure about any of this. It's all daydreaming. I know what will actually happen is that I will buy lenses, then waste a lot of $$ and time selling and rearranging them until I am happy with it.