SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from a CN refugee

ibase

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Hernando,  Welcome to SGL.

I'm about to buy a Hyperion zoom, first EP upgrade. Good to have you on board!  :smiley:

Thanks Mace!

Am a Hyperion Zoom lover. :)

c60bcbb1f916e3a5acfd6cf53fc8198a.jpg

L-R: Baader Hyperion Mark III, BH Clickstop 8-24mm Zoom, William Optics 7.5-22.5mm Zoom, Celestron 8-24mm Zoom

Best,

Hernando

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think your experience with eyepieces will be very valuable for those here starting out.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay!

James

Thanks much James! Do hope so. :)

Best,

Hernando

Hi Hernando, and Welcome. 

I'm also a CN member, but not a refugee. I discovered SGL and joined a couple of years go, it's a great forum.   :smile:

Hi Mike, good to know, thanks!

Best,

Hernando

Hello Hernando and welcome to SGL!!

Hi Roger, thanks for the welcome!

With all you nice folks her, have a feeling am going to really like and enjoy it here, thanks!

Best,

Hernando

Hi LeeWilky,

Lol, thanks for the welcome! Yes, I know, one actually needs only 3 EP's - low, medium & high power, so you're 2/3'rds there. :)

Best,

Hernando

EDIT blog URL: www.hyperionzoomlover.blogspot.com

75 EP's lol. I only have one eyepiece that didn't come free with a scope and even that I'm considering selling as I've had it not far off a year and its been out of the box once :)

Welcome to SGL. 

Cheers

Ant

Hernando, My goodness buddy I must have close to 75 eyepieces myself...I'm always looking for that magic eyepiece..But being a hard core double star observer I look for eyepieces that are good quality with no more then 4 or 5 elements. My interest is always right in the middle of the eyepiece.So I even try the Huygens and Ramsden ..

mike h

That's good to know Mike! Ahh, the insatiable appetite for an unceasing quest towar optical perfection and nirvana in an eyepiece, "half the scope" whether true or not, these oculars hold a magnetic allure, all by itself.

As for less glass is more, a frequently debated subject, am of the opinion that modern state-of-the-art coating on EP's are closing the gap with whatever less-glass EP's have an advantage over multi-lenses (5 or more lens) oculars; take the case of the two below, a BCO 6mm ortho and a TeleVue Delos 6mm:

b9b7c43384c63c2e44d7842f39a57c44.jpg

Whatever advantage one will have over the other in terms of optical prowess on-axis will be very slight at best, while the advantage of those big eye lenses that these times translate to generous & comfortable eye relief (20mm) cannot be denied. More comfortable viewing for the eyes makes for longer observing time, but do understand that for some (me included), do find the short focal length orthos ER to be adequate and not a deal breaker. As always, YMMV.

Best,

Hernando

welcome to SGL. I cannot even see how you register on CN. it's not very user friendly as far as I can see.

Thanks Moonshane. Yes, you're right, although I think they're up for an upgrade from the dated system.

Best,

Hernando

Hi Hernando and welcome to the lounge from middle England.

Hi Ian, thanks. England - love it, all that history & culture; had visited

1103a4b2532f53160b4afa8c541e58cf.jpg

With my wife at the Tower of London

Best,

Hernando

Archived