Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is this a Bargain?

GrahamJ

I popped into our local auction house this morning as I often do,& they had what they describe as 11 1/4" star diagonal a celestron. Guide price £50 £70. I don't know these scopes but it looks ok mount eye piece & finder. The mirror looks a bit dirty but nothing too bad does anyone have any opinions,

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woops - crossed posts lol

Ok you need to specify the diameter of the mirror - or the aperture (which is very similar). The type of scope needs to be known (eg is it a Newtonian, Sct, Maksutov, refractor), and the scope make and model, and which make/model of mount it's on.

£50-£70 sounds very cheap - it may be a discarded toy. I'd advise caution. :)

It has an 11" mirror the tube is roughly 18" its on an equatorial mount looks impressive. Thats all I can add realy

If it is a C11 and if it is in an OK condition and if it goes for anywhere near that guide price then it's a blooming bargain.

That's a lot of "ifs" though....

And that's assuming that this:

Guide price £50 £70.

means a guide price of £50 to £70, and not £5070!

The description is still a bit vague but a Celestron 11 SCT would be aboult 18" long.

That is the best bet and it may have meant to have said with 1 & 1/4" Star Diagonal.  If that is the case £50 - 70 is amazing if in good nick...if not in good nick come to that!

Archived