SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepieces for SE 250px Dob

Anyone have a SW 250px Dob that could recommend some EPs?

I was looking at the Baader Hyperion Zoom MkIII but then saw this: 

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/163992-problem-focussing-baader-hyperion-zoom-with-sw-250px/

So could anyone make some recommendations - just to give me an idea of what to look for.

As for price.... less than £300 :-) (else gf will kill me lol)

Thanks

£300 each or total?:)

I'd say get a few Starguiders or for a step up, some Maxvisions. The starguiders are very good EPs

Go for 25, 18, 12, and 8mm focal lengths or thereabouts

If you're flush go for Televue or Explore Scientifics

Enjoy!

Barry

+1 for explore scientific, you could get a couple of 82º EPs for about £300 new, even less if you don't mind buying from germany/US.

i bought 2 on recommendation from folks here, and i think they're amazing - quality build and beautiful views in my 250PX.

i've never tried a Televue, but from what i can gather they are close in quality to TVs but half the price.

I think with this focal length (f/4.7) you probably teetering on the edge of apparent coma with the Hyperions. They will work just fine, but expect a little bit of star trailing around the FOV out edge. 

Teetering? I suspect the Hyperions won't just teeter. They'll take a running jump and leap straight in. From what I've read there will be more than a "a little bit of star trailing" just around the "edge" with the Hyperions in a fast telescope.

Coma grows inversely squared to focal ratio, comparing to f4.9 scope, f4.5 will have 20% more than coma.

Besides, the spherical aberrations grows inversedly cubed to focal ratio, that adds another 30% distortion to the edge.

I find my BSTs quite acceptable. £300 is enough to get a few. I'd suggest 8, 12 or 15, 25.

That'd leave enough to consider a Maxvision if you wanted something 2" (though there is some discussion of coma in this scope - http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/209525-maxvision-28mm-68degree-first-light/ - FWIW, I see coma with my MV 28mm, but it's not too bad, and I love the field of view), and maybe something at 6mm length for planets. I have the 5mm BST, but x240 is a bit much, usually. x200 would be more useful, and I do feel the gap between the 5mm and 8mm...

@SpoonyPizzas

Please read this thread If you haven't yet

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/43171-eyepieces-the-very-least-you-need/

I'd recommend you to spend more time with eyepces you have, get your eyes trained for observation, also get your ideas about you prefer and what you dislike, eye relief, field of view, edge sharpness, etc.

Also, since you're from UK, it's MUCH better to buy used eyepieces than buying new.

@SpoonyPizzas

Please read this thread If you haven't yet

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/43171-eyepieces-the-very-least-you-need/

I'd recommend you to spend more time with eyepces you have, get your eyes trained for observation, also get your ideas about you prefer and what you dislike, eye relief, field of view, edge sharpness, etc.

Also, since you're from UK, it's MUCH better to buy used eyepieces than buying new.

+1

For me it is a thumbs down for the Zoom mkIII in the 250px. Previously using one in a 200p, I found the FOV quite narrow at the wide end. More significantly, I found the view to get quite mushy away from the middle which resulted in lots of Dob nudging. My MaxVisions were a revelation in comparison. Wider, clearer views and good to the edge with better ER.

Sticking the zoom in my recently acquired 250px exaggerated the problems further. In fact, as wolfpaw is finding, the MVs are less than perfect in the 250px.

On a positive note, my WO 6mm is working well in the 250px giving detailed high mag views when the seeing allows.

Archived