Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Observatory in Norfolk UK

mhard26339

Looks as if I have a problem, the 32mm water pipe in which I intend to run my USB and LAN cable underground appears to either have a bit o concrete set in it or a kink about a Metre into the pier block, the string pulls through OK but will not take the cables with the plugs on however streamlined; looks like a pair of snips, a soldering iron and heat shrink, [removed word]! it was all going so well!!. Anybody else joined USB cable like this, the method looks OK on You tube but???. The LAN will just have another end fitted if it pulls through.

Regards

Mike 

Tried that Ray, no go, have yet to try a single cable with no plug but still in London undergoing treatment, will try when back in Norfolk and feeling stronger.

Regards

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All, An update on my dilemma re the cables. To find out exactly what the problem was I ordered a cheap camera from Amazon                XCSOURCE 7mm Magnify Inspection Camera USB Microscope Borescope Waterproof LED (7M)   , works perfectly and showed a big blob of concrete that must have fallen down the pipe when we were installing the pier. I was at the bottom of the U bend so after some thought processes I poured in some industrial brick cleaner, left it a couple of hours and hey presto flushed the concrete away. Obviously the moral of the story is cover all pipes when concreting (its cheaper than the alternative) but if you do have a problem here is a solution (albeit be careful with the Hydrochloric acid although diluted).

The dome is nearly completed and I will send more pictures soon but currently on my last?? cycle of Chemo this week so a bit tired!!; but thank you for all your good wishes, my last set of scan results show that I appear to be beating the beast and prognosis is very good; thanks again.

Regards

Mike

• Like 1

Mike,

Good investigation work there with the usb camera - I would never have thought of using brick cleaner, that saved a lot digging and disruption. I have a tendency of rushing in  with things like that - it definitely pays to think things through like this.  Thanks for your hint on the Start Tech Industrial USB Hub, that's now on the wanted list.  Really good to hear of your latest news Mike, may it keep getting better - I bet you are itching to get into that fine observatory of yours.

Jim

• Like 1

Hi Jim,

Just a hint, the Start Tech hub that I set up was for when I was imaging in the garden, more rugged. I notice that it has gone up in price quite a but, for no other reason than I didn't want to undo the tripod set-up i.e. Terry Clips riveted to mount onto the tripod legs, in the dome I am currently using one of these from Amazon.

Anker® Uspeed USB 3.0 7-Port Hub with 36W Power Adapter and 3ft USB 3.0 Cable [VIA VL812 Chipset]

It does not look as if the link has copied but is a less robust/industrial but works very well even with the 25M USB cable from dome to study. Any problems though and the Star tech hum will be back!

Just a thought to possibly save some sheckles

Regards

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Just a bit of updated information for you all out there thinking of automating a Pulsar Dome. I have just about completed mine, photos' to follow, all working, just about, but I did have problems with the shutter closing which Gary at Pulsar put down to the positional IR sensors, it wouldn't close on the computer or switch only by waving your hand in front of the sensor even when correctly  aligned in the Home position. To cut a long story short Pulsar have now binned?? the IR Sensors and have a radio link to the dome which means that the shutter can open and close anywhere on the rotational 360 degree arc, no need to motor to the home position before it will close the shutter. I had my upgrade (possibly the first) fitted last week and it works like a dream, absolutely perfect operation; a good improvement to the automation installation; just got to get the Cloud Sensor connected to the Shelyak and APC Power Swich connected to the Internet and automation complete.

Clear skys please!!

Regards

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All.

Just an update on my status to all of you who have wished me well with my fight against Hodgkins Lymphoma; I was recently given a partial remission as most of the tumors have gone, just a couple that are still there, now very small and not feeding off me but enough to preclude a complete remission tag. I now go on to maintenance every 2 months, scans every 4 months, for the next 2 years to monitor if anything is misbehaiving but no more chemo or pills just getting stronger every day. Thanks all of you guys and gals for your words of encouragement over the pst 6 months, much apppreciated.

Regards

Mike

• Like 3

AWSOME NEWS !

when the docs tell us that they are advancing treatment all the time it's encouraging to meet real people, it gives hope to the rest of us.

good luck with the dome looking forward to seeing you standing at the door!

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Mike absolutely fantastic news, good for you.  Oh good news about the dome as well.  I've taken the plunge and got my summerhouse up now. The conversions hopefully to be completed next summer.  We need plenty of updates on your progress getting everything commissioned now.  Take it easy but enjoy it fella, you earned it.

Jim

• Like 1

Well I promised some pictures of the dome now that it is effectively all finished with all working from within the dome, the next step is to move out to the study (which after the other night will be welcome (in August as well))  After that on to fully automated internet control.

post-29087-0-50659300-1408629597_thumb.j

This shows the setting of the dome, the fields on the LHS are North, the second smaller solar panel is to keep the battery charged for the intruder alarm.

post-29087-0-04998600-1408629646_thumb.j

The electrical contol panel showing the APC AC7923 Power Control Panel controlling one bank of sockets for when fully automated, the other is direct to the master on/off, a red and white lights and a master on/off, Power adaptors for the Dome Driver and Shelyak Controller and the Internet hub ready to receive the lead when I sort out the driver

post-29087-0-88082000-1408629676_thumb.j

Another view showing the Dome Drive Unit, the wires will be tidied up a bit (sometime soon!!) when the power switcher is finally connected to the Internet.

post-29087-0-31515500-1408629702_thumb.j

The set-up for use from within the dome, the storage area is a bit scruffy underneath but shows my ironing stool and dehumidifier also.

post-29087-0-96252700-1408629723_thumb.j

The Celestron 9.25 with Celestron Guide Scope, Lodestar and Telrad attached.

post-29087-0-10127600-1408629745_thumb.j

The finished pier with NEQ6 and everything else attached. When I do the wires on the electrical panel I will tidy this up a bit but the velcro keeps falling off the pier!!

post-29087-0-78891600-1408629765_thumb.j

Showing the Starlight Xpress H9 camera and Hyperstar, again the wires need sorting when the dewshield is fitted.

post-29087-0-18767100-1408630491_thumb.j

The installation for the Aurora Eurotech Cloud Sensor mounted on top of the Accessory Bay.

Hope you like the picis, a bit of tidying up to do but it all works, just got to fully exploit those plentiful clear nights now and move on to the next frustration, imaging!

Rgards

Mike

• Like 2

looks very nicely done Mike, makes the hobby so much more enjoyable when you don`t have to keep setting up every night, turn on and off you go.

do you have any problems with condensation ? i only get it on my tin roof when it gets fairly cold, i don`t seem to get much on the equipment itself.

it was alittle cold over the last couple of nights, i had to put the heater on in my obsy which made it nice a warm, alittle too warm as i fell asleep, woke up at 3.20 am but got some nice data on the bubble neb.

• Like 1