Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Observatory in Norfolk UK

mhard26339

Glad you're up and running. Beware the ACP power switch has an unusual way of using DHCP if you set that option.

What's the second solar panel for?

Hi Dave, The one thing that is outstanding is setting up the power switch, I have not sorted the driver out yet, next job on the list!!. The second panel is to charge the battery to keep power to the Red Shield alarm system, 12v reduced to 4.5v, I found that it was eating batteries. Some of this success was down to your advice David, thanks.

Regards

Mike

Very nicely done Mike, let me know when your about after this weekend i will pop over.......

Hi Ray, You are welcome anytime, we are in most of the time certainly pm; I am starting to play golf again normally mornings so anytime pm is good, you had better ring first just to check, our daughter is about to make us grandparents for the first time!!!!

Regards

Mike

What a wonderful dome, and done while you were going through such a difficult time. All the best :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I used it as my driver to keep up my spirits during the dark days!! thanks for your kind comment

regards

Mike

• Like 1

Hi All,

Well, it was all worth it last night, clear, but cold night, switch on imaging within 10 minutes with me seated in the warm study, very civilised watching the graphics on Maxim. At the end, home the dome, close the shutter, switch off and bed  (after a malt)  without getting cold, wonderful!! All I have to do now is learn to process the images properly.

Regards

Mike

• Like 3

Power switch doesn't need a driver - it's driven from a web interface.

Default username and password is apc. Manual is online.

Press and hold button to find it's IP address. Hopefully set up already with a static address or DHCP without the magic cookie. Otherwise you need a cable.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Power switch doesn't need a driver - it's driven from a web interface.

Default username and password is apc. Manual is online.

Press and hold button to find it's IP address. Hopefully set up already with a static address or DHCP without the magic cookie. Otherwise you need a cable.

Hi David,

One more request, well 2 or 3 actually, when I hold down the button down all I get re the IP address is 0 - 0 - 0 - 0; I have tried resetting but no change; what is the magic cookie or how do you interface with the cable, also log-in to what website? Sorry to be a pain but this is my last problem to solve, 250 problems sorted and one?? to go but it is again causing all sorts of frustration, very little information available and manual very confusing.

Regards

Mike

If you get 0-0-0-0 it hasn't got an IP address.

To log on to it with website, first you need an IP address. Then just put that address in a web browser. Username and password are both apc.

Out of the factory, it is set up to take an address from a dhcp or bootp server.

(I'd disable the requirement of vendor specific cookie at the first opportunity)

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=ap7921&tab=documentation

See manual, page 10

Best bet is use the wizard, page 9, download here;

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=ap7921&tab=software

Otherwise, use the telnet options (ping seems easiest way).

As long as the password is the default.

Otherwise, you will need the special serial cable (on ebay)

If you get 0-0-0-0 it hasn't got an IP address.

To log on to it with website, first you need an IP address. Then just put that address in a web browser. Username and password are both apc.

Out of the factory, it is set up to take an address from a dhcp or bootp server.

(I'd disable the requirement of vendor specific cookie at the first opportunity)

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=ap7921&tab=documentation

See manual, page 10

Best bet is use the wizard, page 9, download here;

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=ap7921&tab=software

Otherwise, use the telnet options (ping seems easiest way).

As long as the password is the default.

Otherwise, you will need the special serial cable (on ebay)

Thanks again David, I spoke to the guys from where I bought it and I have returned it to them for set-up, should get it back today so should be able to move ahead but thanks again.

Regards

Mike

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

I thought that it was time to give yu an update on the progress on my intended fully remote operation dome, there has been some changes and some lessons for would be builders since I last posted. 

The siting of the dome was largely pre-ordaned within my garden but it happened in March/April, it was not until Mid November that I realised, with the sun being so much lower the solar panel only got light for about 30 minutes a day, the dome being in shadow from my house. Coupled with this the fact that due to my intended remote operation and the new "non IR" system for opening the shutter I had to leave the unit switched on continuously meant no power when I wanted to open the shutter. The fix was to up the solar panels x2 and increase to 10W; to stop anything untoward happening to the batteries (now 2 also) I added a solar controller but all in all about another £100. Lesson learned. More bits and bobs from previous posts!!

post-29087-0-57933400-1422537074_thumb.j

There is still a bit of tidying up to do on the wiring (as always)

post-29087-0-44880300-1422537176_thumb.j

Another change was that I intended to use the AP 7920 as my switching device but despite Davids advice and how to set it up, sending the device back for a check-up I still cannot get it to function as advertised and so I invested in an IP 9250 as can be nearly seen sitting on the 7920. The IP 9258 worked perfectly straight out of the box relegating the 7920 to a (expensive) junction box. I will get it going but that can come later. The 4 ports of the 9258 control Computer, Scope Utilities, Dome Utilities and the de-humidifier using the timer function.

post-29087-0-35318300-1422537555_thumb.j

Also an IP camera has been added and can be seen and an ethernet hub. 

I was intending to control the dome from a computer inside my house using a USB link but although I did not appear to have any problems with a 25M powered USB connection, many blogs suggested unreliabilty and otherwise. Decision therefore made, new stand alone bought and set up in the dome linked by Cat 6e ethernet cable from the hub to the router in the house; this makes the now underground USB cable redundant but It allows for options!!

post-29087-0-89072500-1422538355_thumb.j

The scope has bee finalised with the Starlight Xpress H9 sittng on a Hyprestar, Celestron 180mm guided as required by a Loadstar. At the other end Baader quicklocks have been installed and a desicant holder to keep the inside of the scope "dry" if the de-humidifier is not quite on the job.

post-29087-0-43630400-1422538678_thumb.j

Finally, 

post-29087-0-89797300-1422538885_thumb.j

Notice that the next door neighbour put up some trellis fencing just after the dome was installed, very helpful!!, but in honesty after a friendly (honest) chat he made it so that It can be lowered should I need to view that low, below 25 Deg, he even offered to lower it for me when I am in Spain so no problems!

There we have it, I now sit in my study, switch all systems on using the IP 9258, watch the startup routine via the IP Camera on my IPad then connect to the computer in the dome (seamlessly??) via TeamViewer. TeamViewer hs proved excellent and easy to set-up and use; I did use Real VNC but occasionally it changed IP address for no reason which caused mild palpertations?? The system has now been running for about a month and excepting minor glitches mainly with the USB Hub (I reverted to my original industrial one) and Maxim compatibility (the latter being the odd box not checked when setting up dome, scope focusser, cameras, POTH Hub and Focusmax) reliability has been good, that is until the next clear night!

Hope that this has been of interest, I can understand that it is not everybody's idea of astronomy, but it is mine and it now works whether I am in UK or Spain. All I have to do now is learn how to use Pixinsight.

Regards

Mike

• Like 4

Great progress update Mike. Glad it is all up and running well. But of a shame with the trellis but below 25 degrees the atmosphere will give you lots of problems anyway so not to bad an issue.

Yes Soupy, I have difficulty imaging in that direction (although it is East) below that level anyway, there is only a small quadrant thiat is not obscured by his house but it hasn't proved too much of a problem at 25 Deg, I think that I have lowered the trellis twice in 3 months, there is always something else to view!

Regards

Mike

• Like 1

Fantastic to see it at this stage Mike you must be getting so much enjoyment from the setup now.  I'm aiming to be able to ultimately control mine from the warmth and comfort of the conservatory, about 10m away.  I'm a long way to getting to that stage but I have your build history bookmarked for ideas.  Congratulations again - have you managed to use it from Spain at?  That would be an amazing sense of achievement.

Jim

• Like 1

If you still can't get the Apc working, I'd be happy to give it a go if you send it here.

Thank you David, your offer is much appreciated. As I said I do intend to give it another go. It is not being recognised because it is on "different network" to the router 192.168.1.150 instead of what I wanted 192.168.0.150. I am awaiting one of the cables to allow me to re-program onto the same subnet as the router. The instruction manual tells me I should be able to access it then. I guess its a bit of lazyness in that the system is up and working with the 9258 but it is my nature not to have things that do not work as advertised. I will let you know how I get on!

Regards

Mike

Fantastic to see it at this stage Mike you must be getting so much enjoyment from the setup now.  I'm aiming to be able to ultimately control mine from the warmth and comfort of the conservatory, about 10m away.  I'm a long way to getting to that stage but I have your build history bookmarked for ideas.  Congratulations again - have you managed to use it from Spain at?  That would be an amazing sense of achievement.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I havn't operated it from Spain yet, but I have from London which at least is a different network so I do not anticipate any problems, I have a good Internet connection in Spain and can cheat the IP address to believing that it is in UK if I need to, I should not need to do that, TeamViewer and DynDNS say that I can control from all over the world!

Regards

Mike

The remote operation would be a sight to see Mike, just operating it remotely would be as fun as observing with it. :smiley: My knowledge of computer networking is confined to setting up a home wi fi but you've prompted me to take a look at TeamViewer.  

Jim

• Like 1

I use Team Viewer - love it - I can control my imaging from the comfort of the settee in the living room :)  Currently working on remote controlled, motorised roll off roof as you may have seen :D

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

Thank you David, your offer is much appreciated. As I said I do intend to give it another go. It is not being recognised because it is on "different network" to the router 192.168.1.150 instead of what I wanted 192.168.0.150. I am awaiting one of the cables to allow me to re-program onto the same subnet as the router. The instruction manual tells me I should be able to access it then. I guess its a bit of lazyness in that the system is up and working with the 9258 but it is my nature not to have things that do not work as advertised. I will let you know how I get on!

Regards

Mike

You could just (temporarily) tell a computer to use IP address 192.268.1.151 subnet 255.255.255.0 and use that computer to log onto the Apc to change its settings. No new cables needed.

You could just (temporarily) tell a computer to use IP address 192.268.1.151 subnet 255.255.255.0 and use that computer to log onto the Apc to change its settings. No new cables needed.

Hi David, Thank you for that but tried it this morning and could not log on to anything. Set the laptop IP to 192.268.1.151, tried to log into it (by putting the ip into search bar on google) and I got the message DNS Lookup for d2e24t2jgcnor2.webhostoid.com failed. The request name is valid but no data of the requested type was found. Any ideas? As I said it is working as a distribution panel (albeit an expensive one) its just annoying that it cannot (will not) switch!

Regards

Mike

Argh, typo - fat fingers on iPad. I hope you spotted it. 192.168.1.151 (not 268).

The computer and the APC need to be on the same network.

If the subnet is set to 255.255.255.0 (usual for this type of setup), the first three numbers need to be the same on both computer and APC, but the fourth number needs to be different.

You then put 192.168.1.150 into the address bar at the top of IE/Chrome/Safari to get the Apc login screen.

Edited by dmahon
  • Like 1