Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

COSMOS; a spacetime odyssey. A TV programe not to miss!!

inspectapart

There`s a new programe from the States starting on the 16th March on the "National geographic chanel" here in the U/K.

It`s a sort of re-boot of the famous 13 episode "Cosmos a personal Voyage" first aired in 1980 by Carl Sagen and his wife Anne druyan

The original series was seen by half a billion people in 60 countries and was a phenominal success. However, a lot has happened since 1980 and this series is hoped to emulate and even eclipse the original. Once again, Anne Druyan is producing the series.

I don`t have the National Geographic chanel but I am thinking about adding it to my chanel list if it doesn`t cost too much.

Saw this in this months edition of  "All about Space "

You forgot to mention that it is hosted by the legend himself - Neil DeGrasse Tyson ;)

I'm quite gutted because i've been looking forward to this series very much but i also dont have Nat Geo as i dont watch much tv! If only you could add single channels!

Yes that`s the guy who wlil be presenting it. I checked tonight and if I want to add Nat Geo it`s going to cost me £20 squid per month!. with Vigin, so I wont be enjoying it. I just hope it will be out on video soon.

Last night we went to the National Geographic HQ in Washington DC and saw the first episode.I haven't seen the original Cosmos so I cannot compare.

There is an introduction before about the original Cosmos and Carl Sagan.

This first episode was about our location within the universe and the timeline of the universe (and our civilization) as if it could happen in a terrestrial year. Giordano Bruno is also mentioned and the reason why he was killed by  the Inquisition. The images are very good and they are a mix of pictures and graphics of the cosmos, places on Earth and even some animation. The first minutes shows Tyson on the bridge of a spaceship in its  journey from the Sun to the Oort Cloud. 

There was Q&A with the producers afterwards but we didn't stay. I heard that one of the producers was saying that they wanted to reach the public and I think they did a good job. I went with my 8 years old son and he said he liked it.  

post-33627-0-60345900-1394056125_thumb.j

That is the original Cosmos with Carl Sagan, not the new one.

think of yourself much?

i posted this as many here would never had seen the first run maybe?

but i will be sure to put your needs before anybody elses again

Carl's great - if ever aliens arrive I do hope they have that "so perculiar accennt, (pause) as used, (pause), throughout the cosm-mos" and wear a tie with a Cagoul. I thought I had read the book when I was a kid (not the novel, the other book), but looking it up I see I must have been a mostly zonked university student, remembering reading "The Cosmic Connection" as a 14-year old  (1973) instead...

think of yourself much?

i posted this as many here would never had seen the first run maybe?

but i will be sure to put your needs before anybody elses again

What a bizarre, aggressive, pointless response!! :shocked:

You quoted someone lamenting the fact that to see the new programme would cost a £20/month subscription and then posted links to the original series on Youtube!

I commented simply to avoid the poster or anyone being mislead by your post...........I sometimes wonder why I bother with web forums at all. The format seems to bring out behaviour in people which I'm sure is not how they would normally behave or interact with others.

If you want to recommend the original Cosmos why not do so? Start a new thread and wax lyrical about it. It was after all a groundbreaking series presented by one of the great thinkers and science communicators of our time.

Hopefully guys this is just a misunderstanding and no need to get further unwarranted comment by anyone.i can honestly say this is the friendliest forum I've ever been involved in so let's do our best to keep it that way. Back on thread, I bought the Sagan cosmos series not so long ago and though the sfx are obviously dated and some of the ideas are also out of date it's still a great watch fingers crossed this new series leaves its mark.

So what did people think of the new series?

I enjoyed the visual presentation though not sure of the space ship he is flying around in, I guess it needs to appeal to all ages.
Always enjoy Tyson's presenting and voice so it is easy to listen to.

As I have not seen much of the original series I cannot compare and to be fair they are promoting it as a separate series rather than simply a remake.

Has not quite matched the Wonders of the Universe & Solar system with Brian Cox yet but we will see...

Archived