SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First ever Jupiter

tekkydave

Had my first imaging session last night and took a few videos of Jupiter. Here is the first one I have processed:

post-28249-0-67954000-1393944330_thumb.j

The moon is Io according to Stellarium.

See signature for equipment used.

Best 2000 frames of 10025 at 320x240 shot with Sharpcap, stacked in AS!2, Wavelets in Registax 6 and post-processing in Gimp.

All criticisms welcome as I'm a newbie to AP so need all the help I can get. I have a 2.5x barlow which I probably should have tried to get the image bigger on the chip - I'll try that next time.

One thing I noticed is that I had to flip the image 180 deg on the vertical axis in Gimp to get it to match how Stellarium shows it. I had the camera attached directly to the back of the OTA not via a diagonal so I thought it would be correct.

Thanks guys. I'm quite pleased with it for a first attempt. I spent a few hours in the cold fiddling and cursing and tripping over wires but that's the fun of the hobby isn't it :grin:

One thing I couldn't work out is which way to orientate the ZWO camera. I had it with the usb connection upwards - can anyone else who uses one of these camera please advise.

First Jupiter eh? Brilliant image - well done :smiley:

Cheers. I visited the West Yorkshire Astronomical Society tonight and viewed Jupiter through their 14" Meade LX200. Blew me away - I wish I had one of those in my back garden :Envy:

Nice people at WYAS - made me & my wife very welcome.

Very nice start to your Jupiter imaging world Dave! If the image is actual capture size then you are not far off. 2.5x this will be tough if seeing is less than great.

Thanks. The image has been scaled up in Gimp for easier viewing. The actual size on the camera chip was about 60 pixels. I think it would take the barlow as there was plenty of room to increase the exposure which was 0.003569s and the fps was at maximum (I think it said 240fps in Sharpcap but that sounds a bit too high).

Archived