Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5 Extension Dec Shaft

macusermike

Hi, just bought an extension bar for my HEQ5 to allow me to balance the telescope better - rather than adding more weights. But I cannot find any tutorials on how to take the old bar out.

I took the bottom section off (the section where the bar slides out of) to see if this was where it was fixed but, it looks like I will have to also take the head section off (the part where the dovetale bar sits to hold the scope) and then push the bar right through?

Im just a little concerned that I will destroy the mount taking the head off and it wont track again.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike I did exactly the same as you a few weeks ago and took the bottom bit first but really all you need to do is loosen the 3 grub screws on the top of the mount just below where the dovetail mount is and then that comes off. Then take the end screw off the counterweight shaft and it can then be pushed through to be replaced.

I was very nervous of breaking it as i am a newbie at this but it turned out to be pretty simple.

When it comes to putting the head back on if you take out one of the grub screws completely then you can line up the hole with where it was originally.

Hope that it makes sense please say if not as dont want to make it sound complicated.

Good luck

Lukeyboy :D

Thanks for the reply Lukeyboy. I have the 250 to :D Looks like I have done it wrong then. Ill try what you suggest tonight. Your explanation is clear so hopefully I should be ok. Do you know if taking the head off would result in having to re-calibrate etc. Im not planning on doing this really but I have read some articles about people suggesting a re-grease on the gears. I just don't fancy turning a £400 mount into £400 of scrap :D

Mike

In my humble opinion i do not think it will effect anything, when you take the head off there are marks where the grub screws are located so as long as you line it up like i say when you put it back it should be fine and you dont expose the gears so i see no reason to regrease.

I have used mine since with no probs let us know how you get on.

I will be interested to hear what you think about the 250 as its my first scope and i have nothing to compare it to.

good luck for tonight :D

Took your advice lukeyboy and you where right. It was simple, just tool the cap off where the dovetail bar sits and the dec shaft came straight out.

I have had my Skywatcher 250 for a while now and it to was my first scope. I took the advice from the experts on this site when choosing and I wasn't disappointed with the choice especially when I had my first view of the moon through it. I think for the price its a fantastic buy and can hold its own with some of the more expensive scopes. One thing I would say is the eyepieces that are supplied are not brilliant and the crayford focuser could be a little more sensitive, but those are things that can easily be sorted.

Mike :D

Glad you got it sorted, i think at some point i will get some more eyepieces as I'm only using the ones that came with the scope but not sure what to go for, will maybe have to put a thread on about it i think.

How are you finding the balance on your scope now.

I thought about going for something like a set of Meade 4000's maybe even Meade 5000 which are supposed to be a lot better than the 4000 but also quite a bit more money.

The balance is great now. I used to have to use a couple of bumbell weights along with the telescope weights but I dont need them at all now :D

I do have to make sure the weights are right at the end of the bar though to balance. I haven't yet tried it with a camera attached which will add a bit of weight but I am pleased with the result.

I was told a little trick by Steve (i think) from FLO. If you look at your counterweights you will notice that on one side the hole has a notch in it which allows it to slide over the retaining nut.

It gives you just a little bit more play when balancing especially if your weights are already at the end of the shaft.

Sorry if you already knew this but i did not notice it till told.

I don't think i dare spend any more for the time being especially as i got a wedding to pay for, maybe i can see if she will let me put some eyepieces on the pressie list :D

Archived