Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Chrisj

M42 with Newton 150/750mm

What a first post Chris! Welcome to SGL. That is a beautiful ethereal M42. Love the muted colours, looks like God blowing smoke rings. Very impressive.

Hi Christian, and welcome to SGL.

That is a beautifully captured and presented M42.

Dave

Thank you all for your nice comments and welcome :-)

I am now trying to join this image of M42 with another of NGC1977 so that we can see this whole region. I will post as soon as it is completed.

Cheers

Chris

That is a very nice M42 indeed. The more subtle colours are typical of an unmodified DSLR but what makes your image stand out from the crowd is the beautifully 'muted' appearance of the image but with such a lot of detail being captured - a testimony to the 2 hours of exposure and therein lies the key! Beautiful ......

thats good ,very very good indeed , prob one of the most pleasing results i have seem of M42 well done ,splended work

Rog :D

That's an awesome image - well done! There's a huge amount of detail there.

Welcome to the forum Chris. These are beautiful images and a real inspiration, just a shame our skies are not as clear as your own. Great website too.

Karlo

Welcome To SGL Chris. That is one very fine Image.

You worked hard on it 32 3-minute subs with dark frames, bias frames and flat-field frames .

You put the effort in, you get the right result. A very splendid outcome.

I can't wait to see the montage you are working on.

Ron. :D

By Crikey! That is nice :D

Particularly as it was made with kit that didn't require a second mortgage!

Yes you are quite right Steve. The Newton telescope I bought "only" costs 300 euros and my camera is a basic Canon 300D you can buy second-hand for another 300 euros or less. My budget was very limited.

The Newton telescope was not optically adjusted when it arrived and I had problems understanding what to do exactly. Fortunately a friend of mine has much more knowledge than I have in telescope adjustment and he helped me a lot.

Maybe that's the problem with Newton telescopes: their price is right but you have to adjust them and regularly check their adjustment.

Just had a look at your website and the shot of M45 is simply stunning.

Wow - what a way to introduce yourself! :shock:

Not being an imagine expert, how did you hook up the camera to the scope? I'm guessing it was the 'prime focus' method?

Alex