Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First light 16" Oldham optics mirror set dob

todd8137

Hi all not very good at gramma so stick with me ,Well I got the 16" reflector nearly a month ago and tonight was the first real night after the group meet the other night we spotted the primary with the ,

Catseye Hotspot & 4"-32" Centring Template (thanks FLO ) and set the secondary and job done . This dob sits at just over 6' 9" tall ,man handling it is a dream with the fear of god in me I took it all down the garden around 17:00 and checked colamination .

I got out around 20:00 after a bit of family time and it being clear as a bell

M42

This was a dream I first had a look with a 32mm plossl and it was just about all in very clear and the detail was unreal even a hint of greyish green and that's no joke theta 1s all 4 easily seen and sharp the nebula it's self was very nice the arms as I call them left and right were like a pair of wings ,the hook on the right of the neb was very prominent I switched to the 18mm celestron x cell lx the detail just got better and this ep gave me more detail and structure in the nebula

NGC1980

This was great to view easily seen and just south of the main neb am sure I see a fuzzy patch of neb around this all star bright and sharp.

M35

This again 25mm celestron e lux plossl and 25mm celestron x cel lx gave me a mind boggling view of this cluster I love it one of my faves I could see orange blue -ish ,white ,orange stars,very rich and deep diamonds do not describe this it was like seeing it for the first time again spent around ten mins looking at this ,

Orion's Belt

Just panning around with the 25mm was great very rich in stars in the field of view

M1

Very easy to find 25mm again a nice fuzzy shape very clearly a stretched oval shape and not much else to say

M94

The Rigel finder made this usually faint fuzzy easy tonight no structure as it was low and around 21:30 by this time a small round fuzzy did not tale power well 25mm was the best view

M82 Bodes

This was the best I have ever seen and there was structure this time 18mm xcell lx the cigar shape had me screaming nearly the left side had a faint star in it ,I convinced my self it was the sn but new it could not be .faint detail in the centre and almost lines cutting through the whole of it M81 also,looked like a swirl a centre fuzzy with what looked like faint swirls just around it outstanding again

I saw lots more stuff as well but do not want to drone on as you have seen them all before I had a few niggles,about dew ?,none at all ,not a bit at all .which was a relief as I have no idea how I would get rid of it.

Home made shroud worked a treat made out of two camping matts and flocked at the bottom I brought two meters of spandex which a neighbours got busy with her sewing machine and made it a double piece with Velcro I may upgrade the whole scope with this .the campo,BG matts did not effect balance.

The Rigel finder took a bit of getting used to and finding the right angle was hit and miss to start with but soon got the hang of it .its small and compact size is just right.

Over all I am truly blessed to have purchased this scope and many of my fears of it's size and big mirror are gone I hope it stays clear every night as it's got so more to give .

Has I said excuse my gramma and thanks for reading

Pat

Might have posted in wrong section if so mods can put it in the right place it was a great night wish I could have spent more time out here it's all home made not by me tho all wood affair wil get some pics added in the morning

Pat

Glad you had a good night Pat.

I was also looking at the Crocs Eye galaxy (M94) last night and it was hard seeing any structure even from a decent dark site but I could pick out a faint halo all the way around it, very nice.

Some great objects you observed there you just need to get that beast out to some darker skies.  :cool:

Glad you had a good night Pat.

I was also looking at the Crocs Eye galaxy (M94) last night and it was hard seeing any structure even from a decent dark site but I could pick out a faint halo all the way around it, very nice.

Some great objects you observed there you just need to get that beast out to some darker skies.  :cool:

Hi yes dark skies soon we have a evening at the dark site planed,just waiting for the wether to play I can see the Milky Way from the garden really well

But dark skies will be better but what I saw was leaps,and bounds over what I have seen over the last 5 years

Pat

Archived