Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rain Alarm!?

BenDavis

I'm sure we have all been there:

Your all set-up outside with your expensive kit and pristine optics then all of a sudden its raining, not just a little its pouring!

The haste to grab everything and try to get it inside a small shed door at once is not fun, although it would be highly amusing for an onlooker I'm sure!

So has anyone tried:

http://www.rain-alarm.com

??

I was thinking the other day there should be an astro community rain alarm system managed by well us I guess!?

If this website works I'll use that instead.

I'm going to give it a go from now on.

That sounds like a good idea. A couple of times now I've set the telescope up under clear skies and have gone out to view only to find it starting to spit with rain. If you're inside the house with the curtains/shutter drawn then I don't know how you're supposed to realise that it's raining outside, especially as the weather at the moment seems so capricious.

I've been using Rain Alarm for a few years now, it's the first thing I check before setting up. After awhile you get very good at predicting what time it's going to rain, personally I don't actually use the alarm function I just check the radar image using the mobile app. So far I've never been caught out............he says tempting fate   :eek:

Archived